Frozen pork butts....

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
How long does it normally take to thaw out frozen pork butts that came from a deep freeze? I have them in my 'fridge right now but they are not making any progress. Need them ready to go by Friday night.

Russell, usually takes mine anywhere from three to four days. I've also cooked butts partially frozen with no bad effects.May take a little longer to get to temp BUT does give you a great smoke ring.

See I screwed up by letting a co-worker buy the pork for our Christmas party. Well she bought the meat like two weeks ago and decided to freeze them....deep freeze. I honestly don't know why people buy meat and then freeze it....why not just eat it fresh? Anyway, she gave me the pork butts yesterday, and they are still hard as rocks. To make matters worse, they are not in cryovac, but in the grocerers wrapping....meaning I cannot put them in cold water. If they are still stone cold tomorrow, I'm buying new, fresh butts.

Since its in the 50's here, can I just leave these butts outside overnight to thaw? I really don't think they will thaw in time in the 'fridge.

Russell, How many butts are you taking about? If the nights are cold I've put them in a cooler on the porch to start the process but they really should be in a fridge

Back