Frozen food on charcoal

Billy W

TVWBB Member
I am having a big party and was planning on burgers and dogs. Instead of makings the burgers like I normally would I thought about getting some pre made frozen one from a restaurant supply store. I have had them before and they are pretty good. I don't have any experience cooking frozen foods in a charcoal grill so I am not sure what to expect. Will the having of the food ruin the coals or cause ashes to fly? Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks

I use the frozen hamburger patties all the time. I season them frozen, and put them on frozen. No problems. I tend to run a little cooler grill than most, which probably helps in this case.

Excellent. I season too whole frozen but I have always cooked them on a gasser. For burgers and such I only use about 25 to 30 lit coals speed in a single layer.
Do you cook them direct?

I've done it both ways. If direct, don't use too hot a fire, or it will not cook evenly. Lately, I've cooked indirect, letting them heat up gradually, and then do a sear at the finish, to firm up the outside. VERY juicy that way, even for thin burgers.

If cooking indirect, throw on a handful of mesquite chips for a little extra love.

I have always had three alarm blazes when I do frozen patties!!
Could it be I am buying the cheap ones with 90 percent fat????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could it be I am buying the cheap ones with 90 percent fat???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
High fat content + direct cook + open lid = flare ups.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could it be I am buying the cheap ones with 90 percent fat???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
High fat content + direct cook + open lid = flare ups.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Add to that "too hot of fire".

I've always been a fan of a smaller fire. Easier to control, and provides plenty of heat.

The prepackaged hamburger patties that can be bought at Sam's Club or Costco are meant to be put on the grill frozen. We use them for big cookouts at school and church functions. Just be sure to buy the high quality beef only patties. I usually buy the 80% or 85% lean ones. If the patties are homemade and thick, then use a low fire or thaw them out.

Back