From farm, err yard to table collards

Russ in CFL

TVWBB Fan
One of my Covid induced hobbies has been growing my own veggies and much to my family's dismay I grew four collard plants from seedlings. Two of them were ready so I harvested and prepped them today as a side for the two pork butts I smoked last night. My wife hates the smell when I cook them so it was perfect that she was gone all day. They didn't have the sweetness that some batches do but overall very happy with them. The first pic was after washing them this morning.

Pretty simple recipe I pilfered from some website yeas ago.

Kickin' Collard Greens

1 tbsp olive oil
3 slices of bacon (I used a ham bone from the ham I smoked for New Years)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
1 lb fresh collard greens, cut into 2 inch pieces

Step 1
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, crumble and return to the pan. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant. Add collard greens and fry until they start to wilt
Step 2
Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender.

PXL_20210307_132842265.jpg

PXL_20210307_231546164.jpg

Russ, how did I miss this. Someone actually using a recipe. And it sounds sooo good. I am printing this one.
Thanks so much Russ!!!!!

Russ, it took a little longer to get around to trying your recipe that I thought. What a shame. I am very happy to say that both DH and myself enjoyed it VERY MUCH. Thank goodness we did, because as I posted elsewhere, it was just about the only think worth eating last night. lol
Thanks again so much for posting the recipe!!!!!

We've got 7 or 8 collard green plants in our garden right now. We've held off on stripping any leaves (so far). My wife tells me that her research has found that they become significantly sweeter after the first frost.
If you are in an area where that doesn't happen/happens too late, you might be out of luck. Where I'm at in Minnesota, I've got a 90% chance of first temps under 32 degrees F by October 16.

We've got 7 or 8 collard green plants in our garden right now. We've held off on stripping any leaves (so far). My wife tells me that her research has found that they become significantly sweeter after the first frost.
If you are in an area where that doesn't happen/happens too late, you might be out of luck. Where I'm at in Minnesota, I've got a 90% chance of first temps under 32 degrees F by October 16.
In my area they plant them after the tomato plants stop producing.
Frost causes them to convert starch to sugar. It might be a southern thing but we cook them beyond tender.

Yes, collard are much better after a frost. We also strip or cut the stems out when we cook them. Add a little bit of sugar to them. Nothing like the taste of collard and liver mush.

Back