From AMC Pacer to Cadillac

Sam Z

Wow, what a difference. Broke in the WSM yesterday and there is no comparison to my old cheapy Brinkmann. Pleasant surprise. I'll give a fast low down:
-Minion method, coffee can in the center with 25 lit briquets, chamber full otherwise with 3 small pieces of hickory. Fired at 11, dialed it in and started to cook at noon.
-Held steady at around 255-260 the entire cook. Manipulated vents infrequently and not by much when I did.
-3/2/1 ribs with a dry rub off the grocery store shelf, apple juice in foil, grocery store sauce at the end.
-Did a tray of beans on the lower rack. They were "ok." Followed a recipe by Mills? and they were a little sweet for me by nobody complained.
*Summary: What a great piece of equipment. Didn't have to keep messing with it like the old nightmare Brinkmann. Food was good, but I want to switch to a different wood I think (Hickory is a little much in my opinion). Meat fell of the bones which is a number one requirement for the family. Took detailed notes, just have to go get a good binder now to keep them in.
Thanks guys for all of the advice. A #1 product, can't wait to get back to it. Probably gonna do some chickens next.

Try some applewood or cherry with your chicken.
I never had a Brinkman but I love my Webers.
icon_smile.gif

Forgetting that it was an analogy...I loved the Pacer. Now the Gremlin on the other hand.Ugh!

Sounds to me like you're off to a very good start!

I agree that hickory cna get to be a little bit much. For ribs I prefer to use cherry, peach, or a mix of the two. I find apple to be a little lite in flavor.

Russ

I remember the good old days of fighting with a couple ECB's I went through. A few things actually turned out edible but it sure was a lot of work.

Sam,

I gave up on hickory a long time ago. Now I use pecan. It resembles hickory but not as strong. Give it a try if you can get some. And enjoy the WSM!

Another big fan of pecan, but I still like hickory on occasion. Just have to go kind of easy with it.

Waiting an hour to put food on negates many of the advantages of the Minion Method, ie the slower come up, better smoke ring

Originally posted by Sam Z:
Wow, what a difference. Broke in the WSM yesterday and there is no comparison to my old cheapy Brinkmann. Pleasant surprise. I'll give a fast low down:
-Minion method, coffee can in the center with 25 lit briquets, chamber full otherwise with 3 small pieces of hickory. Fired at 11, dialed it in and started to cook at noon.
-Held steady at around 255-260 the entire cook. Manipulated vents infrequently and not by much when I did.
-3/2/1 ribs with a dry rub off the grocery store shelf, apple juice in foil, grocery store sauce at the end.
-Did a tray of beans on the lower rack. They were "ok." Followed a recipe by Mills? and they were a little sweet for me by nobody complained.
*Summary: What a great piece of equipment. Didn't have to keep messing with it like the old nightmare Brinkmann. Food was good, but I want to switch to a different wood I think (Hickory is a little much in my opinion). Meat fell of the bones which is a number one requirement for the family. Took detailed notes, just have to go get a good binder now to keep them in.
Thanks guys for all of the advice. A #1 product, can't wait to get back to it. Probably gonna do some chickens next.

Welcome, Sam! I think you'll find that the more you cook on your WSM the more you'll like it and the more confident and adventurous you'll become. I've been cooking at least once a week on mine since I got it them year ago, including some subzero cooks last winter here in Minnesota. With the combination of the versatility of the WSM with the wisdom here on this forum, I've become totally fearless to try anything I can get my hands on and physically fit on the WSM.

Back