Fried Corn

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
No recipe for tonights dinner just something I threw together. Went to the store lastnight with $4.00 in my pocket. Walking around looking for something cheap to make. Saw some froozen bags of corn Giant brand for $1.57 per 1lb. bag. So I grabbed one super sweet white and one yellow corn. I pulled a bag of my Maple Bacon out of the freezer and fried it up, about 12-14 slices. Took out all but about 2 TBS of the grease and saved that for some tomato gravy.
I turned the heat to high, I put in about 1/4-1/3 cup of water to deglaze the pan. I Know water but... didn't have any stock open so just used water. I added a whole onion, med large chunks, and scraped all the bacon bits off the bottom of the pan. Cooked the onions for about 7-8 min then added about a TBS of Amish butter and dumped in the 2 bags of froozen corn. Left it on high heat till corn got good and hot, about 10-12 min. During the cooking of the corn I put it 100 twists from the pepper mill which is about 1.5 tsp and 50 twists from the salt mill. I added 1.5 tsp of Chimayo chili powder and stirred it up good (I forgot the parsley). After about 10 min on high I turned the heat down to med and added 2 TBS of Amish butter along with about a 1/4-1/3 cup of heavy cream I found in the fridge (that was just about to expire). I stirred it all up again, shut off the heat, and put in the crumbled bacon, stirred, and let sit for about 5 min. Then spooned it into a bowl and ate it up. I got to tell you that this was a great meal. I can see making this at least once a week. I'll get some fresh peppers for the next time, but this was a budget meal. I have 2 nice sized bowls of leftovers for work this week. And I'm not sharing with my guys.

Ok rich guy brag if you want to, with $4 whole dollars, but here was my meal tonight! Scanned the kitchen, while wife was at a Mary Kay meeting, determined to have dinner ready when she got back. Found left over "sausage, onions and garlic" from last night, cooked rice from 2 nights ago in the fridge. On the counter was a baking potato, 2 green bell peppers and several tomatoes awaiting their 'gravy' status. Grabbed another beer and came up with this:

-Put both peppers in boiling water
-Reheated the sausage..garlic mixture
-Nuked the tator
-Put the cooked rice on counter to warm a little

Must've been the beer 'cause the peppers boiled too long and the tators nuked too long and both were falling apart when I was ready to prep them for finishing on the grill. TG for foil....made foil baskets for the the tators and peppers....scooped out the tators, mixed with bacon grease, butter, S & P, little cayenne then stuffed back in the skins and placed shredded cheese on top. Next, mixed the cooked rice with the left over sausage, onion and garlic and a dab of butter and stuffed the hollowed peppers. I'm not as technical and specific with amounts as you but - it's was all good!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Just for you - http://www.flickr.com/photos/37645316@N00/2586236304/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
No recipe for tonights dinner just something I threw together. Went to the store lastnight with $4.00 in my pocket. Walking around looking for something cheap to make. Saw some froozen bags of corn Giant brand for $1.57 per 1lb. bag. So I grabbed one super sweet white and one yellow corn. I pulled a bag of my Maple Bacon out of the freezer and fried it up, about 12-14 slices. Took out all but about 2 TBS of the grease and saved that for some tomato gravy.
I turned the heat to high, I put in about 1/4-1/3 cup of water to deglaze the pan. I Know water but... didn't have any stock open so just used water. I added a whole onion, med large chunks, and scraped all the bacon bits off the bottom of the pan. Cooked the onions for about 7-8 min then added about a TBS of Amish butter and dumped in the 2 bags of froozen corn. Left it on high heat till corn got good and hot, about 10-12 min. During the cooking of the corn I put it 100 twists from the pepper mill which is about 1.5 tsp and 50 twists from the salt mill. I added 1.5 tsp of Chimayo chili powder and stirred it up good (I forgot the parsley). After about 10 min on high I turned the heat down to med and added 2 TBS of Amish butter along with about a 1/4-1/3 cup of heavy cream I found in the fridge (that was just about to expire). I stirred it all up again, shut off the heat, and put in the crumbled bacon, stirred, and let sit for about 5 min. Then spooned it into a bowl and ate it up. I got to tell you that this was a great meal. I can see making this at least once a week. I'll get some fresh peppers for the next time, but this was a budget meal. I have 2 nice sized bowls of leftovers for work this week. And I'm not sharing with my guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I make this every Thanksgiving with corn I freeze in the fall. There are never any leftovers. Goes great with that apple brined Turkey!

Back