Fried Chicken on a Weber Kettle

Just found my latest item to try. I will be making fried chicken this weekend. A quick question - Did you just heat the oil in the CI over the direct side and then cook once the oil was at temperature? I assume that the oil would come up to temperature quickly so no issues with one chimney set up 2/3 zone on a 22" weber. I will post my pictures and results by next Monday! Can't wait.

I just added about a chimneys worth of charcoal in 25% of my grill and the pan is directly over the coals. My grill was running around 400*F dome temp. Cooked the chicken 7 minutes each side and finished indirect but I cook chicken thighs to 185*F because my Wife freaks out if see sees any hint of red in her chicken. It still come out nice and juicy at that temp though. So if you going to cook you chicken at a lower internal temp you might not want to cook them as long in the CI pan as long as I did.

Thanks John for incredible fried chicken recipe. I just made my version and I have a few comments.

1. The chicken and potatoes came out excellent. I basically copied what you did except my spices were a little different
2. My results were fairly close to what I hoped for
3. It really wasn't as difficult as I expected

Here are a few pictures.

IMG_6545.jpg

Getting ready for frying. CI skillet that my wife got at a thrift store. I just used vegetable oil and it came up to temperature within 5 minutes of placing it on the grill. I used 1 full chimney of Kroger briquets (first time using them, they worked fine) and spread them in a 3 grill zone. I would say the grill ran about 400 for most of the cook.

IMG_6551.jpg

I cooked thighs and legs as they were on sale. Used my garlic salt/pepper mix and flour and into the oil. 7 minutes per side then onto the indirect heat. I kept the lid off for the first 14 minutes then kept the lid on for the rest of the cook.

IMG_6553.jpg

Chicken done and the potatoes are cooking. After everything was fried I kept it all staged indirect for the next 15 minutes. By this time the grill was down to about 300 or so. I don't know how you guys keep your grills so clean. Do you transfer your food to a stage grill for pictures? My grill seems "less than pretty" in the pictures.

IMG_6554.jpg

Here is the finished product. Tasted great and was really crispy and moist! I will make this again but I will definitly have to kick up the spices. I used the same mix I use with grilling but the frying seemed to knock down the flavor. Gonna add Louisiana hot sauce to the flour and use a buttermilk bath. Until next time...

Special thanks to John Solak for the great grilling idea!

Starting the chicken in the fryer, then finishing on the grill seems a great way to go. I've had chicken that's been smoked, then fried, but didn't love it. This looks more promising!

Back