Fresh ham: Has anyone WSM'd one?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
See Pat Trammell's thread: New Pork Discovery/Feedback Needed

Anyone out there cook a fesh ham on the WSM? If so, kindly give details.

Thanks,
Rita

Rita-- I just did one, a 21-pounder, at Christmas. I brined it for two days in an apple/sugar/spice brine and smoked it with apple wood. I made a Cholula/garlic/cumin paste rub. I usually do hams at a higher temp and pull them at 150, though I have done them lower and slower.

Kevin, your brine and paste sound delicious. So, are you smoking in the WSM as high as 300*F?

Rita

Yes, I am.

The brine is apple juice, Kosher (@ 1/4 cup/qt),
light brown sugar, clove, nutmeg, and peppercorn. The rub is lots of minced garlic with lots of Cholula (about a 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup, respectively) with brown sugar, cumin, coriander, and allspice.

The jus is plentiful and flavorful and I serve it on the side, though it's not needed--the meat is very juicy on its own. I save it though, and use it for re-heating leftovers. I do serve it with a couple condiments: an apple/garlic/orange/sage relish and a Morello cherry/mustard/shallot 'sauce'.

Mmmmmm! I can almost taste it. Kevin, you can cook for me anytime!

I'm going to have to try this ASP. Sadly, it will be several weeks before I can, but it's first on my list of new things to try.

Thanks for the insight.

Rita

Great thread, Ken, with lots of good information. Thanks for the alert. I don't know how I missed it. Also wonderful photos.

I just got finished oogling the full-screen shot of your finished meat for about 15 minutes. I should have put a bib on - I almost licked the monitor clean! Gotta try a fresh ham as soon as I can.

Rita

I'm debating what to cook for the inlaws on Sunday, this may be something to try. Sounds great and the pics look great!!

I did fresh ham on the WSM at Christmas along with a beef rib roast on the kettle. Everyone loved the beef but they expected to. The fresh ham was a real winner. It tasted so good but the cool thing was that half my guests didn't know what to expect; hence they liked even more since it was such a surprise. It'd be great for the in-laws.

I'm still one of those who can't imagine what it would taste like. I'm gonna' have to just break down and try it next time I see a fresh ham!

Back