Freezing Meat

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Need some advice from the panel on this one....I am smoking a pork butt this weekend, and my only option is to buy a two-pack from Sam's Club. I don't think there will be enough of us to eat both pieces of meat.

Is it easier to seal and freeze the second piece of raw meat or should I just go ahead and cook the second butt and then freeze the cooked meat? I really don't envision myself cooking another butt anytime soon (my weekends in July are booked).

I usually cook at least 2 butts without regard to how few will be eating. You spend the same amount of time and use the same amount of material for 1, 2, 3...

I might not do the above if I didn't have a Foodsaver system. They work really well on the pulled park and it taste almost as good as when it was fresh, when you use it weeks or months later.

Paul

I recently froze some pulled pork using the poor-man's vacuum sealer method (dip ziplock with contents into deep bowl of water to force out most air) and the defrosted meat was just fine. I would cook it all and freeze it in meal or multi-meal sized packages.

Back