Freezing meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Im all new to this and was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on freezing meat. There are times where nice cuts are on sale for a great price and would love to stock up on them. I would be using them within a month's time. Im sure there will be some loss of juice/water from the meat. Let me know your views.

Welcome!

No problems doing this, Jim! I think most of us do the same thing...I know I do! Just thaw them properly....in the fridge...which takes a few days of planning.

If you buy the cryo'd stuff try to keep that in the cryo bags...it will last a lot longer and you save money by not having to use vacuum bags.

Best of luck!

Invest in a foodsaver. It's the best thing I ever did. It vacuum seals your food and keeps moisture in. they're reasonably priced. You can keep food for up to 2 yrs, but who would want to keep food that long. Any leftover bbq can be sealed and re heated in the same bag.

I just up graded to a VAC 900 foodsaver. Much better than the 300. Makes bag making much easier. I also buy cryo bag stuff and freeze, no problem.

I do have a foodsaver, I also make homebrew beer and use it for that. One problem I have with it is that sometimes, while it seals the bag and initially takes all the air out, later I find that there is air back in the bag. Kind of fustrating and cant find the source of the leak.

Jim

When you seal the bag, make sure the bag is completely dry where the heat seal is to be made. If any moisture is there from when you put your meat in,it will not seal. Wipe the top and bottom inside very clean with a paper towel. Also make sure that your bag is completely flat when sealing. If there is a wrinkle in the bag it won't seal properly. Using the sealer for your home brew doesn't sound right. To seal any liquid, it should be frozen, so the vacuum doesn't suck the liquid out of the bag and thus wetting the heat seal.

Sorry...for the homebrew I seal hops and specialty grains in it...not the beer itself. Although that does sound kinda interesting. LOL.

The liquid from putting the meat in sounds like it could be the problem. I will give it a shot and let ya know. Thanks.

Jim, I assume you are talking about freezing uncooked meat. Most "sales" or "specials" are from meat that has already been frozen and thawed. Check the labels. By law the stores are supposed to put on the label if the product is fresh or from frozen. Uncooked meat should not be frozen more than once.

Newbee to SMOKEN!

Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back