Freezing Cole Slaw

I made up about 3 pounds of cole slaw from a recipie I found in Backyard BBQ. It has cabbage, sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, mustard and vinegar.

There is no way I'm going to even eat one pound today. Can this be frozen? I'm not sure you can freeze mayo and sour cream, but who knows?

Thanks!

It's likely to end up very mushy once thawed.

Coleslaws made with a vinegar-only dressing can be frozen but the cabbage and other vegs should be tossed with salt and excess water allowed to drain before the slaw is assembled. (This is a good idea irrespective of recipe.)

I've often wondered why the label on the Mayo jar had a "Do not freeze" statement. Will it not freeze? I can't imagine it's a serious warning like the "Do not use in shower" warning found on a hair dryer.

Kevin,
I've seen this concept of drawing out the moisture using salt before. Do you usually rinse off the salt and dry before assembling the slaw? Or just use enough salt to season the slaw?

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle--

Mayo will freeze. Its consistency once thawed is the issue.

I use enough salt to season the slaw but I do dry the cabbage a bit with paper towels before continuing the recipe.

Back