Freezing Bologna

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Google and Oscar Mayer have failed me.

Bologna is on sale, but I don't want to smoke any right away.
Does anyone know how to properly freeze bologna?
How to wrap?
How long can it stay in freezer?
I'll guess...wrap in foil, place in freezer bag, safe for 90 days or so...? How'd I do?

Boston Butts are also on sale for $1.00/lb!!!!

Wrap tightly in plastic first, then in foil or then in to a FoodSaver bag for vacuuming. 90 days--no problem. And buy those butts!!

Hehehehe...
We were just plotting to go to the store and *EACH* of us buy the limit of 2.
Then I'll have 6 in the freezer. That should do for a while, eh? :-)

Only for the next cook and a half. I do at least 4 if I am going to do one. The butts (right after you snatch the bone out) freeze well with a foodsaver and come out great when reheated by boiling. The only reason that I have not done more is I just discovered the foodsaver trick with whole butts and before that, I was REAL TIRED of messing with them after chopping 4 in a row.

Charles,
I would assume you could throw it in a freezer bag and it'll keep for 3 months or so.
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, You dont get Boston Butts at $1.00 regularly?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian H:
Seriously though, You dont get Boston Butts at $1.00 regularly? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, 30th Anniversary Sale at a grocery ***WAY*** on the other side of town...a 30 minute drive through traffic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vernon N:
Only for the next cook and a half. I do at least 4 if I am going to do one. The butts (right after you snatch the bone out) freeze well with a foodsaver and come out great when reheated by boiling. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!
I've just remembered my Uncle Ham (rest his soul) left me a foodsaver!
Great idea Vernon!

Back