Freezin' Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
I am doing 2 butts this weekend that total 13.5 lbs raw weight. Since I got a Tilia,I want to vacuum/freeze the leftovers. How much should I freeze per bag? One sandwich worth/bag is a waste of bags. It is just my wife and I here and I want to give some to my daughter who is single. Does
1/2-1 lb seem OK? Thanks in advance,
Pat

Hi Pat,
I usually do a pound or two per bag but I've also used the small bags and done single sammiches. There perfect for samples and a quick bite at lunch. Yup, you go through more rolls of bags but heck, it's worth it. I also add a little bit of apple juice and sometimes some BBQ sauce to the bag so the meat will keep moist as I steam it back to life. If you've got the extra manual sealing button on your machine you can hit it just before any liquid gets to the vacuum chamber. It works well and I've never had a problem.
HTH,
Dave

I usually go by how much will be consumed at a sitting, plus what will be consumed as leftovers in the next couple of days. Them bags do add up, not to mention the inch or so lost per bag to insert into the vacuum channel.

Hi Pat!

I always freeze in 1 lb. increments. I use this meat in many other recipes and most of them call for 1 lb. of meat.

Just throw in a pot of water and start it boiling. By the time it reaches a full boil, the stuff will be heated thru.

I usually just throw in a few handfulls and then if I need to thaw more than one bag, I can. I haven't purchased a foodsaver (usually just suck the air out with a straw) do you get better results (less freezer burn) with the vacuum machines?

John,
I've never tried the straw method, but I don't get any freezer burn using my Kenmore vacuum machine. I usually freeze individual sandwich size portions of about 3/4's of a cup. I heat the sealed bag in boiling water. No moisture is lost, like there is when reheating in the micro with a slit in the bag.

Maybe I should look at a vacuum machine....I like the idea of boiling the sealed bag to reheat. Any recommendations on brand? John

John,

I'm sure all of the major brands are good. I'm happy with my Kenmore, which is made by the Food Saver people. It was on sale at Sears for $89 (US). You can also use the machines to vacuum and reseal most things in their original plastic packaging, such as cheese, pretzels etc. They also sell canisters for bulk storage vacuuming, and mine has an attachment for using Mason Jars for vacuum storage.

Hi John!

I used the "sucking" method for many years....just didn't want to spend the money. Once I bought the Tilia, I thought, how dumb have I been??? LOL

There is a HUGE difference in results! Spend the money and you will be impressed..promise!

As far as brand...Tilia(FoodSaver) used to be the only game in town. I was at Cabela's yesterday and saw at least 4 different makes. NO idea how well they work, but there are finally some choices.

Stogie --

You were at Cabela's? Wow! My favorite outfitter! Everything I own is from Cabela's!! 'Cept Mama. Got her at 3M.

Whadya get me? Hope it's not another of those Rolexs. You know how I hate to be ostentatious!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I was at Cabela's yesterday <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>One of the downfalls of living on the west coast is no Cabela's stores. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Frankly, I'm surprised that none of the large sporting goods companies (Cabela's, Bass ProShops, etc) have opened up any superstores here on the west coast. Its mail order only for us. My best hope is to visit the new Cabela's store in Dundee, Michigan when I next visit family in S.E. Michigan. In fact, I'm contemplating a trip to do just that! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Dave Lewis,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My best hope is to visit the new Cabela's store in Dundee, Michigan when I next visit family in S.E. Michigan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I live about 30 miles west of Dundee. If your in the area definitly plan a half a day to visit Cabelas. It's amazing how much there is to see.

rj

Sespe Pete.....

Yeah..there was this guy around back selling fishing reels...... LOL

No Rolex's anywhere!

The store was amazing! As Randy J mentioned, easily a half day trip.

I only bought a Dutch Oven cooking table. I got a good price..$65, normally sell for around $85. It is a Camp Chef..good name. Now I can stand up and cook with the DO's. I kept spilling my beer everytime I bent over to tend the iron!

We start camping in 2 weeks. The Boy Scout Family Camp...guess who gets to cook???

See ya around, pardner!

Randy J,
Though I am an Oregonian born and raised, I am very familiar with your part of Michigan. Most of my family is scattered throughout Lenawee, Washtenaw, Jackson and Hillsdale Counties. My father grew up in Tecumseh. I have alot of ancestors buried in Tecumseh and Hillsdale cemetaries.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred S:
[qb] John,

I'm sure all of the major brands are good.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Take it from one who has had a knock off for years and just been too cheap to get the tilia. Spend the money and get the foodsaver (or another machine made by them. It is a far better machine than my Deni which dosent do a very good job of holding its seal. The foodsaver is at the top of my wish list.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back