"Free" Performer

Andy Linn

TVWBB Super Fan
The point of this thread is to ask for advice: Is there an "easy way" to swap a MT kettle into a performer frame?

I was out for a walk this morning and my neighbor had this sitting out front. I wheeled it home on an impulse. I feel like I can remove the gas pipe (gas assist does not interest me), take the table off and paint it - and set my current master touch into the table assembly. Then I can just buy a new castor (8 bucks on Weber's site) for the front and it's good to go.

The catch: The kettle bowl there now a) has a hole in it from the gas line b) has rusted through at the gas line hole location. This thing looks like it's seen some high heat fires.

So... it looks like there are tabs which are spot welded to the kettle bowl and those "tabs" are what screws to the table frame.

I am assuming someone here has swapped a kettle into a performer frame? I am initially thinking to dremel off the "tabs" the kettle hangs off the frame from. Then drill holes in them. Drill matching holes into my donor kettle. And then hang it on the table. At that point it seems like it would be easier to order a new kettle bowl - but I didn't see that on the Weber site as a replacement part..

Attachments

• 20211120_075500.jpg
    20211120_075500.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20211120_075521.jpg
    20211120_075521.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20211120_075533.jpg
    20211120_075533.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211120_075725.jpg
    20211120_075725.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211120_075810.jpg
    20211120_075810.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Little bit of google work came up with some after market brackets.. These look like they may be a viable option to swap in my donor kettle without much effort. If anyone has a better idea please let me know.

Just putting this link here for my reference. I am going to have to buy cobalt drill bits anyway. If I reuse the old brackets - I think I may get this put together for the cost of a new castor wheel & drill bits.

Looks good Andy.

What paint did you use on the table?
I sprayed it with some Krylon... I had a bit of matte and half a can of flat (both black) on the shelf in the garage. I sprayed the brackets with Krylon too on the bare spots - I may live to regret that move :)

When I assembled my kettle into my performer frame, I didn't space the bowl high enough and the lid is a bit of a pain to set on just so... I use it all the time and it's fine.

However, I am still going to relegate the cooker to pizza duty and an upcoming rotisserie ring.

Was planning to get a new kettle for other grilling duties with the 70th editions coming out but got sticker shock.

Luckily, I found this beauty for a great price on marketplace. Here she is in action cooking sausage and veggies for today's pizza!

Attachments

• 20220416_111252.jpg
    20220416_111252.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
When I assembled my kettle into my performer frame, I didn't space the bowl high enough and the lid is a bit of a pain to set on just so... I use it all the time and it's fine.

However, I am still going to relegate the cooker to pizza duty and an upcoming rotisserie ring.

Was planning to get a new kettle for other grilling duties with the 70th editions coming out but got sticker shock.

Luckily, I found this beauty for a great price on marketplace. Here she is in action cooking sausage and veggies for today's pizza!
This is a well documented video that takes the guess work out spacing the bowl height. There is is also a Par 1 & 3 videos pertaining to switching out a kettle on a Performer.

Back