Free Ham: What do I got, what do I do ?

My wife brought home a free ham she got at the supermarket, and says "here, smoke this !"

It is a "Cooks" brand, Butt Half

(some label claims)
-Bone in
-10.21 lbs.
-Ham and water product
-23% of weight is added ingredients
-ready to cook
-super-trim, Hickory smoked

So what do I do ?

I love ready to cook hams that have been smoked....you get to add more smoke flavor. Check the cooking section for more help and monitor the temps. A good glaze at the end kicks it up a notch (don't sue me Emeril!).

I really love these things with cherry wood, if you have any!

You have a smoked ham that still needs cooking. You'll want to ron your cooker at 325 or so--no water in the pan. Just a little smokewood--Jim's cherry suggestion is right on. Lots of things you can do. Read over this, Chris' recipe that is quite good. Use as is, or make substitutions if you wish.

Free? Cool.

Guys, thank you for the replies.

Yes, "the price was right", as my Aunt Mynn would say.

Is there any advantage to smoking this, as opposed to the oven, seeing that it is going to require 325ish temps, and as per the article linked here, will absorb only a little smoke flavor ?

Yes! You can add the smoke flavor of your choice! Cherry, apple, I love sweet woods with ham. Also, I find it easier to glaze evenly in a WSM as opposed to pulling it out of a hot oven, burning my hands, etc.

Finally, the smell of the smoke will drive your family wild!!!!!!!

I did a Cook's ham a couple months ago on the WSM and it was great. The extra smoke flavor really helps, plus you'll get a good "crust" on it besides. Do it on the smoker; you'll be happy with the results.

i used pecan shells on mine at 325-350 for 3 hours in my great outdoors smoky mountain
i also had water in the pan but i could keep the temp up with the propane burner

Couldn't it be rotissed as well? I was thinking of buying a ham to try it. Can't I just throw some cherry chunks in the smoker box on my Genesis?

Sure you can use the rotis, just take care your cook temps don't run too high.

Pecan shells sound good too, Mark.

And tighten those thumbscrews! Otherwise your ham will take a tumble into the hot coals AND CATCH ON FIRE like mine did...!

I saw a cook's ham in the local market yesterday. I'm going to try it on the WSM with smoke, since our last ham was smokeless. In fact, I might get a Cook's and another Mash's, and see how the WSM'd Mash's compares to the rotissed one.

Kevin mentioned not getting your temp too high when using the rotis. I have the EZ Que kettle set up and have used full charcoal baskets on each side of the kettle. I use a Performer and have noticed my temps seem to be higher than I recall when I used the regular indirect set up without the rotis. My feeling is this is caused by more air getting into the cooker because the ring does not seal completly. Next time I'm going to try going with the baskets 3/4th full to cut down on the fuel supply and therefore lower the temp. Closing the bottom vent didn't bring it down enough so that I could be in the 325 range like I wanted.

Paul

I guess I've found that to be true, too. Never really thought about it. When I did the ham, I ended up closing the bottom vents quite a bit, and closing the top vent quite a bit, too. That got the temps under control nicely.

Next time I think I'll start with the small chimney (which is 3/4 the size of hte weber chimney).

My remark was specific to this ready-to-cook ham, or generally to similar items where high heat might overcook the outside before the inside is done. For small items that can take the heat, like small brined chickens or game hens, I'd probably go full tilt on the rotis. I do those routinely in a 500 oven so the rotis is perfect for that.

I smoked a half spiral ham for easter. I had it sitting in the freezer forever so I figured what the heck. I smoked it at 350-ish for about an hour and a half with a huge chunk of cherry and some smaller peices of hickory. I did the mustard whiskey glaze that's posted in the cooking section. It came out great. You can definitely taste the extra smokyness of the meat. You really can't go wrong with this recipe.

Back