Free Apple Wood (Mid Illinois)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
Got half the orchard trimmed.

Have about 20 years (!) plus of apple wood available. Anyone want apple wood? Usually, I go and cut 6-8 inch logs and split them later.

Wood is located between Peoria, Peru, Bloomington and La Salle in Illinois.

Wish I weren't half a country away. I had a load of apple wood that I scrounged when we went up to the foothill apple country. Nice 2-3" thick logs trimmed from an orchard. Looked for it the other day and realized my wife had used it for kindling in the fireplace. Not a happy camper....

I wish you were closer too. Last time I found two guys; one with a off set smoker. They told me they got enough for a year but they did not even put a dent in my log pile.

Folks, I know what the experts say. From personal experience, apple wood on ribs, turkey or chicken is best used fresh: cut and split within the last few months. A bit more flavor is imparted. Cutting does not seem to matter when you have "logs": About 3-6 inches in diameter. It seems to taste best when the logs are not split until your ready to smoke. imho.

FREE APPLE WOOD! WILLING TO REASONABLY MEET YOU A WAYS IN TRADE FOR SMOKING MEAT! FILL UP YOUR PICK-UP!

David,
I only live about an hour from your area. I am interested in getting some applewood that you are getting rid of.

I will post here again in a few weeks when I have the time to come get it.

If anyone goes down from Chicago proper drop me a line. I'd like to pick up a little bit but it wouldn't be enough to make the drive worth it.
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back