Franklin's Espresso BBQ Sauce

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
This is Aaron Franklin's recipe for a sauce with a hint of coffee. Franklin BBQ in Austin TX is regarded by some as one of the very best in the country. It's my personal favorite having sampled most of the big name Q joints in Central TX.

Franklin's Espresso BBQ Sauce

4 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
6 Tbsp. brewed espresso
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. coarsely ground pepper
In a saucepan, combine all of the ingredients, stir well, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer gently for 20 minutes to blend the flavors. Use immediately, or let cool, cover, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Makes about 7 cups.

Courtesy of Aaron Franklin and Robb Walsh from his new book 'Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook' And the book is available through Amazon so if you're interested use this link to support this site please.

Paul

I made a batch tonight. It def was not as espresso'y as the one at his restaurant. Im planning on trying it tomorrow on my brisket.

This is definitely not the recipe from the restaurant. Tried it as stated and with some tweaks to try to get it close but it is missing some key ingredients or the portions are way off.

Back