FOUR BUTTS

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I am looking for a little help here! Iam doing four buts from costco avg. weight around 6lbs a piece after all trimmed out.I was planning on starting the wsm around 9:00 PM o Fri. but after all the posts I have been reading I think I should probably start around 5:00pm because the party starts around 3:00pm on Sat.My plan was to finish around noon on Sat.let them sit in the cooler for a couple hours then pull the meat after the party started.All help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It's for my sons high school graduation so I have to look good for the family and other grads since he always talks up my smoking.

what temp are you planning on running the WSM? At 230-240, starting around 5 or 6 p.m. is pretty safe. With 4 butts in a small, tight cooler will keep warm for a good 4 hours, no problem. Just wrap them in a double or triple layer of HD foil. Preheat the cooler, and fill any excess space with a towell. Should be set.

If you ran the smoker consistently around 250, you'd be safe starting around 8 or 9 p.m.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

My Costco butts ave 7 lbs. and usually take 15 to 18 hours. Figure a good hour to rest in foil and then ample time to pull the pork. I spend up to 30 min per butt pulling and chopping. So plan ample time time for pulling or chopping. Once you figure how long you need, add at least an hour or two cushion. No need for extra stress.

FWIW, I smoked 2 7-lb Sam's Club butts last weekend. I kept the WSM between 230-250 and it took 14.5 hours to get the butts to 190-195 internal.

I would start at 6:00 p.m. tonite. Worse case scenerio would probably be a 20 hr. cook ending at 2 the next day which would be ok. Fastest would probably be around 16 hrs which would put your finish at 10 the next day. You can easily hold them in the cooler for 4 hrs which would take you to 2 and that would be the time to begin pulling.

Paul

Back