Four Big Butts

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Doing four big boys this weekend. Average weight almost 10 lbs. I'm going to try brining two of them to see if there is a difference in taste. My question is : should I put my Maverick probe in the butts on the bottom grate or putt them in the butts on top???
icon_rolleyes.gif

Both. Also make sure you have on in the brined and one in one of the that isn't.

This is a good excuse to buy another thermo!
icon_wink.gif

if you are using water in the pan, chances are your top grate is hotter than your bottom. So, if you only have one probe, put it in the top. If one of the butts is smaller than the others, put it in the smaller one.

All that said, you'll need to do a check after it breaks through the plateau to see if one is cooking faster than the others.

Adam, I only have one probe. I thought that you'd put it(probe) in the ones on the bottom cause they would take the longest to get done. I could check the top ones with my thermapen. I am using water in my pan.

I've done four butts at the time five times and they all get finished about the same time. I put the probe in one on the bottom. Once that gets to the temp I want I know the other is done or just a little hotter. I would rather know the top ones are more done than wondering if the bottom ones are done enough. You can always pull the probe and stick it in the others before you pull them off as well.

Clay, thanks for the answer.That's kinda what I thought. Never hurts to bounce stuff off of people.

whatever works for you is the best. I put it in the ones that are likely to be done first so I don't overcook others. But if you have a thermapen, it's a non issue, since you can peak upen the top and take a reading without losing much temp anyhow.

enjoy!

Back