Found-Where to find CGA replacement grates?

No issue with hanging the lid off the back...Joe's got it, the lid hook sits on top of the griddle if you don't have a notch there. We did lemon chicken last night (dry brined chicken breast marinated in olive oil, garlic, and lemon pepper). I'm finding that it is very easy to use a paper towel to catch the excess oil/grease so that it doesn't foul the grill. With a charcoal footprint the same size as the griddle, after lighting the briqs in a chimney and spreading them out under the griddle, I put the lid on and with a probe on the indirect side let the temp get up to ~275°F and when I pulled the lid to check the griddle... 560°F...in less than 10 minutes. After searing the chicken and moving it to the indirect side, I removed the griddle with a tongs inserted in the slot, let it cool then scraped it clean with a putty knife and paper towels, and later on in the cook griddled some asparagus to go along with the chicken. Very, very, very happy with the way this grill cooks, very controllable and no surprises.

I drilled the bread pan for use as a firebox as shown earlier but I don't think I will be using it much...it's too limited as to what it can do, although it would be handy for moving the coals around if needed. I use this mod for partitioning the charcoal, it's cheap, works very well and folds flat for stowing. The mod is discussed at 6:50 in...

The bread pan works well for me, but I will order some of those grill toppers and maybe toaster oven tray. I guess after watching this I need a few things to finish my kit. Little cutting board and small tongs would be nice.

The bread pan works well for me, but I will order some of those grill toppers and maybe toaster oven tray. I guess after watching this I need a few things to finish my kit. Little cutting board and small tongs would be nice.
That toaster oven tray might be a little too big, I think. I bought this one

from the video below at 1:10 in

and it fits perfectly with my griddle/grate combo.

20220403_152834.jpg20220403_151523.jpg

Last edited:
No issue with hanging the lid off the back...Joe's got it, the lid hook sits on top of the griddle if you don't have a notch there. We did lemon chicken last night (dry brined chicken breast marinated in olive oil, garlic, and lemon pepper). I'm finding that it is very easy to use a paper towel to catch the excess oil/grease so that it doesn't foul the grill. With a charcoal footprint the same size as the griddle, after lighting the briqs in a chimney and spreading them out under the griddle, I put the lid on and with a probe on the indirect side let the temp get up to ~275°F and when I pulled the lid to check the griddle... 560°F...in less than 10 minutes. After searing the chicken and moving it to the indirect side, I removed the griddle with a tongs inserted in the slot, let it cool then scraped it clean with a putty knife and paper towels, and later on in the cook griddled some asparagus to go along with the chicken. Very, very, very happy with the way this grill cooks, very controllable and no surprises.

I drilled the bread pan for use as a firebox as shown earlier but I don't think I will be using it much...it's too limited as to what it can do, although it would be handy for moving the coals around if needed. I use this mod for partitioning the charcoal, it's cheap, works very well and folds flat for stowing. The mod is discussed at 6:50 in...

Ok, got it. Thanks,

I was a machinist for many years and have a hobby-sized mill and lathe in the garage. I love my GGs and I think I see a way of adding a GG ribbed section to the GG griddle already in place so that the lid closes completely, hangs properly, have either a full sized griddle or 2/3 griddle, 1/3 GG grate, and at the end of the day be able to stow it all below the charcoal grate with room to spare. It's going to be close and it will involve some machine work so it's not for everybody...if it works, I'll post a couple of pics here rather than start a new thread, if that's ok..

I was a machinist for many years and have a hobby-sized mill and lathe in the garage. I love my GGs and I think I see a way of adding a GG ribbed section to the GG griddle already in place so that the lid closes completely, hangs properly, have either a full sized griddle or 2/3 griddle, 1/3 GG grate, and at the end of the day be able to stow it all below the charcoal grate with room to spare. It's going to be close and it will involve some machine work so it's not for everybody...if it works, I'll post a couple of pics here rather than start a new thread, if that's ok..
Please post some pics / video of you doing the metal work on the GG in your shop. Would love see a machinist in action.

Got the gap panel in today and cut both (new and used) panels with a miter saw. I used an angle grinder to remove the corners and the skirt on the large panel. Everything fits below the charcoal grate for stowage. So far, so good...no surprises.

20220406_162343.jpg20220406_161825.jpg

Last edited:
Got the gap panel in today and cut both (new and used) panels with a miter saw. I used an angle grinder to remove the corners and the skirt on the large panel. I will use the mill to mill the areas marked with the Sharpie (pic attached) for the lid hook and to allow the lid to close all the way..

View attachment 48542View attachment 48544

Everything fits below the charcoal grate for stowage. So far, so good...no surprises.

View attachment 48545
View attachment 48546
Looks great!

We had burgers last night and 3 patties on the griddle side is about maxed out as far as space goes. I timed it last night...5 minutes to smoking hot with maybe 20 coals poured from the chimney (smoke point of avocado oil = 520F) on a layer of second-burn charcoal from the previous cook, on the griddle. My goal is to extend the griddle at close to the same level with the grate side reversed

I'm going to be honest, chasing the grease around with paper towels with 80% hamburger is a challenge, but flare-ups are very manageable because the grease-producing source is separated from the fire by a solid plate. Still, flames can emit from the vent holes at the bottom, so common sense applies to where you set up your grill.

Last edited:
We had burgers last night and 3 patties on the griddle side is about maxed out as far as space goes. I timed it last night...5 minutes to smoking hot with maybe 20 coals poured from the chimney (smoke point of avocado oil = 520F) on a layer of second-burn charcoal from the previous cook, on the griddle. My goal is to extend the griddle at close to the same level with the grate side reversed

I'm going to be honest, chasing the grease around with paper towels with 80% hamburger is a challenge, but flare-ups are very manageable because the grease-producing source is separated from the fire by a solid plate. Still, flames can emit from the vent holes at the bottom, so common sense applies to where you set up your grill.
Flare ups should not be bad once you can put the lid on while cooking.

First step: clean up and true the skirt edge on the large panel, then mill away 8mm off each end of the ribs so the GG fits into the bottom of the CGA.
20220407_130046.jpg20220407_130512.jpg20220407_135036.jpg
Machined ribs on end panel to fit and seasoned. The lid fits as intended. The eggs go on the left side ;)

20220412_174443.jpg20220412_174600.jpg20220412_174720.jpg

Last edited:

Back