FOTB Success

Well, I made my wife happy. I ended up smoking ribs that were truly FOTB by using the foil method. Mind you, I'm happy unfoiled, but she, and many others, like the meat softer than that.

I had four racks of backs, and I did three of them 3-2-1, and one 2-3-1, that last for the hell of it. I did get a little scared when I unfoiled them and saw how soft and steamy they were. But, lo and behold, the last hour unfoiled dried them enough so that they weren't "wet" at all. Sauced for the last half hour, and everyone raved about them. Average lid temp tanged from 225-245, and I mopped and foiled with a mix of apple juice, oil, and a soupcon of maple syrup.

Now, when I want to i can make foiled ribs on the upper rack, and unfoiled on the lower.

Thanks for all the help.

Yep. I prefer them straight, but i quote Stogie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The general public wants falling off the bone tenderness. Now, we all know that a rib is overdone if the meat falls off the bones, but do you really want to try and convince someone that their favorite rib is too tender? Of course not… you would be laughed at. So, the best way to get that tenderness is to wrap your ribs in foil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can't beat 'em, please 'em.

Back