for a larger gathering. Cook 1st ribs or pork butt?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am cooking for 20 and will probably need to do two separate Qs. I was thinking of BBQing the pork butt the day before. Pull the pork after cooking and refrigerate and prepare to be heated for the next day.

The day of the event cook the ribs and heat the pulled pork.

Any opinions?

Cook the butts overnight. Double wrap in foil and insulate with a cooler, newspapers, towels, etc. Then cook the ribs. The butts will stay warm while the ribs are cooking. I

The great thing about pork butt is that it reheats really well. I usually add in some apple juice to moisten and gently heat at about 250-275*. While ribs wrapped in foil will also reheat well, I always prefer them straight off the cooker.

Yep that's what I was thinking. Cook the butts then wrap and place in cooler. This will give a 4-5 hour window to cook the ribs.

Now let's assume we need to cook the butts for 15 hours to get to 190-195 and if placed in the cooler foiled and insulated for another 4-5 hours total cook time could be 20 hours and I might get mushy meat.

Therefore I think when the temp reaches 190 I will pull the butts off the WSM, foil and insulated inside cooler then toss on the ribs.

Thanks for your opinions.

I would cook the butts the day before the party. That way they are all pulled, in the frig waiting to go into the oven to reheat. You can spend your time the day of the party fussing with the ribs, talking to your guests and putting down a few adult beverages. Keep it simple on game day.

I may be doing somethig similar for a block party this summer - but would like to do brisket & ribs (with one WSM). Could brisket be prepared ahead of time and kept warm in a cooler? (I have a couple of really thick-walled ones)

Absolutely. Last year for a large party I cooked a brisket on my WSM overnight and then cooked ribs and chicken on my larger pit the day of the party. The brisket held very well. Double wrap foil, towels, cooler. Works like a charm.

When cooking for a larger party one of the things I like to do is serve from my cooking area. I set up a table and let people come get there meats and slice to order their choices of meat. While I always cook way more than I need I like to hear the compliments when everyone comes back for seconds. The first serving is a smaller portion. I like to get my ego fed too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back