FoodTV - BBQ Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnN

TVWBB Member
Sorry if this was already posted - but there are a SLEW of BBQ related programs on FoodTV this week. Here's a link to someone who went to the trouble of listing all the shows so the interested could tape/Tivo them

FoodTV BBQ Week

Thanks for the info. A full viewing schedule tonight. I anyone needs me, I'll be incommunicado for the next couple of hours... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

thanks for the info, I also think that this week is the start of Steve Raichlens (author of how to grill, BBQ Bible, Sauses Bastes and Rubs, Beer can chicken and his new book BBQ USA) seires on PBS air time dependes on your local station

Did anyone see the Alton Brown show where he smoked a pork butt in the big flower pot? What did you think of his marinading the butt? The marinade sounded interesting (pickling salt & molasses & water), but not sure how deep into the butt it would go. Might have to try it out. His reasoning was that modern hogs are leaner than old time hogs, so they need a moisture boost.

As for his flower pot smoker - I think it would have been better and more realistic to use a WSM and show people how to use it. His smoker was a big flower pot with a hot plate in it. On the hot plate was a metal bowl that he put wood chunks in. Over that was a grate (it looked like the grate extender from Big Green Egg) with the butt on it. He had to take it apart to put more wood in, and the grease was dripping onto the metal bowl with the wood chunks in it.

The show was interesting, but I did note the flaw in his set up, you mentioned. Without a door, he did have to keep taking it apart to add wood chunks.

I'm curious about the brining too. The next time I fire up my WSM, I'll have one Boston Butt brined and one not. All purely in the interest of science /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It looks like Sat. June 14th will be the Super Bowl for all day viewing... Starting at 9 am eastern and running most of the day... I'm looking forward to it...

Cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have brined a pork loin and a rack of pork and cooked on the weber kettle and it comes out great! Never have brined a butt but It should work. As far has the flower pot cooker I would think you would lose a lot of the heat everything you open to add more wood.

The flower pot was entertaining, and showed people how to fabricate "something" that was inexpensive and worked.

If someone puts together a smoker like that and enjoys the end product, then more power to them. Eventually, they'll acquire a true smoker.

I'm(as well as others here and on other forums) still trying to understand where the dripping went? When Alton emptied the plate to add more chunks, the plate looked pretty clean with no gooey ash/drippings mix.

Do I need to order pork from Georgia just to get one of those "dripless" butts?? ~grin

I think they need to change the Iron Chef format to 8 hours instead of one hour, and make the ingredient spareribs.

"Fukai-san!"

"Go!"

"The challenger just checked his temperature, sat back in his lawn chair, popped a beer and lit a cigar!"

Anybody notice how many WSMs were on the Lynchburg invitation contest? Looked like some folks had four or five going at a time.

sonny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back