Foodsaver Use

D Jennings

TVWBB Fan
When you guys that use the Foodsaver to vacum pack raw meats wha tis your technique? I freeze mine for 8 hours or over night then vacume pack to prevent removing the jucies. Just wondering if this is basic standard procedure when packing raw meat.

Normally, I won't freeze and seal for fear of frozen edges damaging the bag. I have, however, partially frozen meats with good results. If I have very juicy meat to vac seal, I either place a folded paper towel inside the seal to catch juices or use the manual seal once the juices reach the sealer. Vacuum is not achieved here but the air is removed. Also, I almost always double seal.

Bill

That's how I do it.

I've also done that with chili. I'll fill small cardboard bowls with chile and freeze them. Then when they're completely frozen I'll pop the chili out of the bowl and into a FoodSaver bag and vacuum pack it. That gives me individual servings that I can boil in the bag whenever I feel like a bowl of chili.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
Bill,

Thanks for the idea of double sealing. Now that you've said it it seems obvious but it never occurred to me before.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just passing on one of the many, MANY tips I've learned here over the years.
icon_cool.gif

You're welcome,

Bill

Being new to the whole foodsaver thing, are you saying that you shouldn't just throw the raw meat in the foodsaver bag, vac-seal it and then freeze it? That's the way that I've been doing it, but like I said, I'm new to this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allan:
... are you saying that you shouldn't just throw the raw meat in the foodsaver bag, vac-seal it and then freeze it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not at all.
icon_smile.gif
Partially freezing meats help control the "juice factor" that will cause a bad seal with most home use sealers. Depending on the meat, I often seal without partial freezing.

HTH,

Bill

PS.. Looks like your Senators are gonna take it from our Sabres.
icon_frown.gif

Thanks Bill, I thought I was screwing something up and I was wasting all that meat.

Sens are looking good, however I sure don't expect Buffalo to roll over, although a sweep sure would be nice

Note also that partially freezing meats like sausage or burgers will help preserve the shape of the meat when the bag starts drawing in around it in addition to the juice factor I mentioned.

Good luck tomorrow night ~ I know we're gonna need it...

Bill

A good way to do a cooked brisket flat in a vac:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Let rest as usual, cool and chill in foil with juices.
<LI>When cold, remove congealed fat and slice as desired on a cutting board.
<LI>Lay a sheet of parchment paper slightly larger than the flat over the sliced flat. (DO NOT use waxed paper instead of parchment - VERY bad mojo. Don't ask me how I know this.
icon_rolleyes.gif
)
<LI>Flip the cutting board and meat over so that you now have a sliced flat laying on parchment.
<LI>Wrap parchment around sliced flat and slide into vac bag.
<LI>Dump a generous portion of your favorite BBQ sauce (Head Country, for me) cut with apple juice into the bag (say, 1/2 to 3/4 cup of half-n-half sauce and juice). Vac as much as possible without sucking juice into machine.
<LI>Chill or freeze.
<LI>Reheat unopened bag in simmering water for about 20 - 25 minutes depending on size of flat.
<LI>Open bag and slide parchment and brisket out of bag onto serving platter.
<LI>Hide and watch 'em dive into it.
icon_biggrin.gif

[/list]

(This is the exact method we use to take brisket to work or other places, taking the turkey burner and pot with us if necessary to have a pot to simmer in. It's NEVER dry.)

Keri C

Back