foodsaver + quick marinade..does it work?

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
just curious is all. I'm actually trying it out right now, but I don't have a control group, lol. Just doing some chicken breasts marinated in lawry's herb & garlic 30 minute marinade...

ron

I tried it...It seemed to add a little more flavor than noraml but nothing to write home about.
My attempt was for 2 hours.

One thing I did was: every 15 mins, I would release and reseal. I figured if the release of the air is supposed to bring the marinade into the meat...then let's do it a couple times. I dunno. I'll probably not go that route again, but your mileage may vary.

I have tried that a couple of times. My problem is that the foodsaver always pulls the marinade up and out of the bag and into the foodsaver. Then when the bag gets wet it does not seal properly. I will take a paper towel and put it at the top of the bag to catch the marinade and it works fine. It seems like a little to much for me IMHO.

Shawn, your supposed to use a canister when you marinade! Just leave the marinade about an inch below the canister top and you won't have that problem. I'm not sure if all foodsaver's come with the hose attatchment for vaccuum packing canisters tho. If you don't have that option on your foodsaver then I would forego the foodsaver-marinade process. I can see what a problem it would be trying to seal a bag with liquid in it. Not to mention those bags are spensive'!....

Oh yes, for what its worth the chicken breasts I cooked came out great. Not sure if the vaccuum packing made a difference tho as I didn't have a control group. I did however jacard two of the breasts and left two alone. Although both were excellent, I liked the non-jacarded ones better. They seemed a bit more tender.

ron

Back