FoodSaver Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill M.

TVWBB Member
It appears as though a lot of people here have a FoodSaver for vacuum packing their food. I purchased the FoodSaver 1050 a few months ago and have noticed the red light come on to indicate the sealer is operational even when I'm sealing one of the canisters.

From watching the tutorial video, I was under the impression that the red light would not come on when you were using the "hose" for sealing canisters. Am I correct? Does anyone else have a FoodSaver that the red light comes on when vacuum sealing a canister or does it only come on when sealing the bags?

Bill

Bill, you're talking about the green-yellow-red light ribbon on the right-rear side of the lid, right?

When I vacuum a canister on my 1050 with the hose and large jar sealer, the machine goes through the green-yellow-red light cycle as I'm vacuuming and shuts off immediately after the red light comes on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rita Y:
Bill, you're talking about the green-yellow-red light ribbon on the right-rear side of the lid, right?

When I vacuum a canister on my 1050 with the hose and large jar sealer, the machine goes through the green-yellow-red light cycle as I'm vacuuming and shuts off immediately after the red light comes on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rita:

My 1050 cycles through the lights just as you've described, but the red light stays on for the 3 to 5 seconds (depending on your setting) as if you were using it to seal a bag. I could manually turn the sealer off, but I thought the 1050 would automatically do this as you've described.

Bill, my 1050 only has buttons for "On" and "Manual Seal." I hardly ever use the manual seal button except when I want to remove most, but not all, of the air so that the contents of bags do not crush.

If you have any other buttons, dials, or lights, there must have been a change in the model without a change in the model number.

I'll have to modify my last reply now that I've vaccumed another canister....it's all in the details.
icon_smile.gif
As I'm vacuuming the canister, it finally goes through the colors to the red light, and the red light *does* stay on for about 3 seconds. For those last 3 seconds, the *sound* of the machine deepens (lowers the frequency) as if it's trying harder to vacuum. That change in sound is a good thing.

It should automagically turn off after the sound change.

Rita

How does that compute with your experience?

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'll have to modify my last reply now that I've vaccumed another canister....it's all in the details.
icon_smile.gif
As I'm vacuuming the canister, it finally goes through the colors to the red light, and the red light *does* stay on for about 3 seconds. For those last 3 seconds, the *sound* of the machine deepens (lowers the frequency) as if it's trying harder to vacuum. That change in sound is a good thing.

It should automagically turn off after the sound change.

Rita

How does that compute with your experience?

Rita <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My experience is exactly as you have described. However, if you watch the tutorial "video" that came with the unit, it appears to shut-off as soon as the vacuum sequence is complete without the 3 to 5 seconds of "sealing" time.

Well, there you have it. They probably cut out those 3-5 seconds to save tape time.
icon_smile.gif

Looks as if your unit is working just fine. You'll love it.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Looks as if your unit is working just fine. You'll love it.

Rita <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just finished rubbing a Boston Butt with mustard and Wild Willy's Number Wonderful Rub. I then vacuum sealed the meat for smoking in about 3 days (depending on the weather).

Yes; I do love the FoodSaver and thanks for your replies.

My pleasure, Bill. You pay good attention to details.

You'll enjoy using the canisters to marinate meats too. Tilia suggestes that 20 minutes is enough time, but I'd say that you have to play with the timings a little, depending on the density and thickness of the meat.

I'd be interested in how others time their FoodSavered marinating and brining, or if anyone else does it. I usually only do it when I'm in a time crunch. Maybe that should be a new topic, however.

Rita

I second that Rita.

There are a lot of recipes under the files section in the BBQ folder. I started scanning them last night until the letters got fuzzy.
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back