FoodSaver... old query, new questions

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
OK, I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum, however, after reading and searching through old posts for an hour, I figured I would ask again.

1) Seems the consensus is to go for the FoodSaver over other models, like Black & Decker, etc. However, some folks like the Sinbo. Any thoughts?
1a) How does the sinbo compare to the FoodSaver? Is it worth getting?

2) If using a FoodSaver, what alternative bag options exist? i.e., Sinbo bags or Sears brand, etc.?
2a) Are there any inherent downfalls from using another brand's bags with the foodsaver, if they all claim they are boil-able, microwavable, etc.?

3) Someone wrote a while ago that all the FoodSaver models use the same engine. Is this still the case? So if I get a lower-end model, the only differences are the add-on features, not the power of the machine, right?

4) is it worth getting a model that has the tube so you can vacuum canisters, etc.?

Thanks folks. Sorry if this is redundant.

There is a wealth of information in the Files section on this site (have to join, but it's worth it, and they often mention or compare other brands):

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FoodSaver/?yguid=4078919

One of their best tips is for piercing the flat canning lid with a small hole (I use a push-pin) and covering it with a tab of electrical tape. This way, it is very easy and convenient to vacumm and then remove the lids without having to lever them up with the handle of a fork or the rounded end of a church key. You can use these tabbed lids over and over again.

Most definitely get the hose accessory for vacuuming canning jars. I use the jars more than the pricier bags if I can. The quart jars are great for sealing larger quantities of BBQ sauces, soups, etc. I even roll up cold cuts and put them in jars or a canister. They keep at least twice as long. Also does wonders to keep cheese from molding.

I also like the FoodSaver canisters, which I pick up on sale. Right now, I think their bulk canisters are on sale.

Sorry I can't help you with the Sinbo. That's a new one for me.

Rita

interesting... so you just use your own normal mason/ball jars, and the FoodSaver attachment seals them? That is cool... I thought it only worked on their own canisters.

Very cool.

Thanks for the link - I'll sign up and check it out.

1. I don't have any experience with the Sinbo but I do use my foodsaver weekly. I'd go with the foodsaver because of the availablity of the bags at all big box stores as well as Costco and Sam's. I purchased mine from Costco because they threw in a few extra's that other stores did not include.

2.I always buy my foodsaver bags at Costco or Sam's because of the added value and extra rolls. Never had a reason to buy another brands bags.

3. I have an older middle of the road foodsaver and have had no need for a professional model. I beleive the motors are the same on the home use models widely available.

4. I don't use the cannister's much at all. BUT I do use the tube attachment while using the marinade container. I use this often with chicken marinades. So I think it would be wise no get a model with the tube attachement.

I have not had any problems with mine and use it for bulk purchases of fresh meat and all of my BBQ leftovers. They come out as good as when they came off the smoker.

Chris

Back