Foodsaver - I want one but...

Just thought I'd weigh in too....

My father and I cut up two whole(but small) lambs over the weekend and I used the food saver to bag all the meat.

I did have to wait a couple of minutes at times as it appeared to over heat and not want work... Other than that its worked well for me.

However if had've known about some of the less expensive alternatives that many have mentioned here, I would have tried them first before spending the money on a foodsaver.

Originally posted by JoeW:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I have a cheap/affordable Seal-a-Meal vs108 (I think I paid $40 for it) and it works great, never an issue.

I got a seal a meal from a friend at work they were going to toss. I love it it works great. Can you use the FoodSaver brand bags in it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes 3 of us. I haven't had a single issue with this unit after more than 2 years of use. I use food saver bags from costco and they seal really well. The tip about freezing wet stuff before trying to seal it is a good one. I can't imagine how we got along without this thing!

If you buy it from Costco your risk is zero percent. They will take it back for no reason and issue a full refund and in fact they'll do it one year later.

I just returned a coffer maker that I had owned for almost two years, no box, and no receipt. They found the receipt and issued a cash refund.

You can't beat their return policy. If you aren't happy ever for any reason bring it back.

They do have time limits on TV, computers and some other items but not vacumm bagging systems.

Seal-a-meal and Foodsaver are both owned by the same company, Jarden Corporation (they're both under Sunbeam).

I believe the bags are interchangeable. Seal-a-meals are like cheaper Foodsavers apparently

I just bought a Foodsaver Gamesaver Turbo today from Academy Sports. It was the most expensive model they had ($279 vs $159 for the Pro Plus model). I have several questions on these models --
1. How is the Gamesaver different from other models or is it just labeled different for sporting goods stores?
2. Does anyone know what all the turbo does/has that makes it $120 better than the Pro Plus model? Is it just bells and whistles or more powerful/more reliable? I have a bad habit of buying the most expensive model on the premise that it should be more heavy duty/more reliable.

I tried packing a couple of the ends I trimmed off some spareribs to make St Louis style ribs. I put the pieces in the premade bag, put the end of the bag in according to instructions, shut the lid, and pressed and released the Vacuum/Cancel button as per instructions. It does nothing. If I just hit the seal button it seals. Don't know if I am doing something wrong or the machine is defective. If I can't get it to work, will return it tomorrow but haven't decided whether to get the same thing in case it is defective or try the next lower model and save some money.

Going to the FoodSaver website, it seems that the Turbo has more options, a stronger pump, and may handle liquids better.

Dunno it that's worth the extra $$$ or not. Depends if you need 5 seal levels vs 3, etc.

But for the price difference, you could almost buy 2 Pro Plus.

Both seem to have good reviews.

I took the Gamesaver Turbo back and got the Pro Plus model, which is what I should have gotten in the first place. In the end it was good that the Turbo was defective since it was more than I needed and I saved $120. With the Pro Plus, I packed about 6 lbs of pulled pork in 8 oz portions without any problems.

Back