Food suggestions for Jack Daniels wood chips please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I just found a bag of Jack Daniels wood chips while reorganizing my wood stash. Anyone have any suggestions for food matches?

Thanks,
Rita

Jim Beam wood chips flavored steak and burgers to perfection.

I've used them on a pork tenderloin seared first and then cooked indirect in my Performer. Wait to add the chips till the meat is moved to the cooler side.

Paul

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Paul, I'm curious....will the meat absorb much smoke flavor after it's been seared? For grilling, this seems to be contrary to the 140*F rule in smoking.

Rita

I've heard from the experts here that the 140 rule is a fallacy. Meat absorbs smoke as long as it's exposed to it. Yes, I could taste it and it added flavor.

Paul

The 140 degree reference is related to the formation of a smoke ring, not imparting smoky flavor. I don't recall ever seeing a smoke ring on grilled meats.

Well, that settles it. It's on the menu for tonight.

I usually brine my pork tenderloin. Or did you use a special marinade or a rub on yours?

Rita

I usually just marinade with Moore's for a day or an afternoon. The rub I used last time which I thought was very good was a Lemon/Garlic combo made by Tone's, I believe. Used some Kosher salt and then a light dusting of cajun seasoning. Oh yes, my secretary had given me a cajun injector with a bottle of garlic butter, I think. I shot it up with a good bit of that and really thought it came out great. Pulled it around 140 and let it rest and climbed to 145-150.

Paul

Chet....you're right. My typing fingers got ahead of my brain.

Paul...I have 2 tenderloins ready to go tonight. Thanks for the procedure.

Keith...Rib-eyes are our favorite steaks but I just put on 10 pounds while reading Shawn's Butter-Smoked Rib-eye post. Does that sound delicious, or what!!! It sure is tempting and I might try it and just not mention how I did it to anyone.
icon_wink.gif

That's good to know, Keri. I need to do a brisket in the next week or two. That bag of JD chips I found is going to be gone before I know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back