Food safety question

Rick Kramer

TVWBB All-Star
I like to cook other meats on the top grate while smoking a brisket on the bottom grate. It seems to help keep the brisket moist.
My question is ... at what point would it not be safe to put raw meat on the top grate to drip juices over a nearly done brisket?
Typical scenario: Brisket on bottom, ribs on top. Ribs done in 6 hrs. brisket still has about 3 hrs to go. More ribs on top, pull brisket approx. 3 hrs. later, replace ribs and remove them when done.
Note: No one has died or gotten ill at this point and the food was delicious. But I still wondered if this was a safe practice?

Thanks ... Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...over a nearly done brisket? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be my concern: how much time the brisket had left. As would (slightly) the condition of the ribs when they went over the brisket. Using your figure of 3 hrs left to go on the brisket, it would not be a concern to me.
I would say that you'd still be okay with less time on the brisket--a lot less time, actually, but if you don't need to push it, don't. In many jurisdictions, were you commercially cooking, this would not be allowed--just fyi.

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the response.
icon_smile.gif

Rick

Back