Food Planning and Serving Techniques for Medium to Large Crowds

Kyle W.

TVWBB Member
Hi all!

First off, I really enjoy reading this site every day. Thanks to all who contribute and make it a wonderful resource.

I had a house built about 8 months ago and am now finally getting around to throwing a housewarming party. After spending the past month cooking everything I could get my hands on with my WSM, I have decided to share in its wonders.

My plan is to smoke a pork butt and a chunk of beef (chuck roast maybe?) for purposes of providing pulled pork and beef for sandwiches. Along with a small variety of buns, I plan to offer a variety of sauces including a vinegar sauce and BBQ sauce in squeeze bottles to allow for easy application.

To accompany the sandwich as the main part of the meal, I'm also going to provide a couple side dishes. I could do the standard cole slaw, potato salad and a fruit salad, but I was wondering if you guys/gals had some other creative ideas.

Also, should the meats be held and pulled right before it's served? Is there something special I can do to keep it warm, or is keeping it covered enough? Besides appetizers, is there something I'm overlooking?

This is my first event of this size. Any tips or tricks to make it a success?

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

You'll get various replies for this, but if I am doing a picnic for 15-20 people, I pull it right there in front of them. Most people really like watching, I love hearing the comments, and I think it adds a little to the event. You also don't have to worry about it drying out at all while sitting in a pan.

For larger crowds, I have used a crock pot on low, but the meat isn't in there for more than 20 minutes before serving.

Kyle,

An easy and delicious side is baked beans. There are many good recipes on this site (try Keri's Baked Beans).

Good luck,

Ray

A good home made cinnamon roll and or biscuits are always good with BBQ. If you would like to add some interest, cook fresh sweet corn in the husk in a pit in the ground. It is easy to do. Just dig a rectangular hole about 8 or 9 inches deep by 24" wide and 30 to 36" long. Get your coals started and layered out directly on the ground at the bottom of the pit. Soak your corn in cool water for 1-2 hours in the husk before cooking. Then place the ears still in the husk directly on the coals to cook. 20-30 minutes
cooking time is about right depending on the heat generated by your coals. Enjoy

Bob T.,
I like the idea of pulling it in front of them. I guess I need to work on my pulling technique! Last time I did it, I used a pair of forks and that seemed to have taken a while. Is this how you do it, or is there a better way? For a picnic of 15-20 people as you mention, how much meat do you usually cook?

Ray,
Great idea! I've tried Keri's Baked Beans before and they were excellent.

Bob H.,
I love the corn idea! I'll definitely have to consider that. I’m going to save the cinnamon roll idea for the winter time (still too early to be running the oven).

Currently, it looks like I’ll be serving 30+ adults. Are 3 side dishes enough to provide a decent variety? I don’t want to provide too slim of a selection, but at the same time, I don’t want too many sides where people are loading up on more side dishes than the main course.

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle,

I pull with 2 forks. I know they have special things you can buy to speed it up, but I just stick with the forks. I think "Bear Claws" is one of them.
If I am cooking for a group of 15-20 people, I fill up the WSM, sometimes even with a 3rd rack lol. If I am cooking, I just fill it up and food savor some. I figure 1/2# per person if it's mostly men, less if a lot of women/kids. I rather have a lot of leftovers than come up short.
icon_eek.gif

Back