Foiling

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
What does foiling your meat do during a smoke? I hear of people doing it with ribs and butts? To foil or not to foil....that is my question!

I foil ribs but not butts. I find that they are more tender that way. Have to be careful so they don't get to tender though and start to come right off the bone.\

Clark

When you smoke "naked meat" any water that cooks out of the meat goes off with the smoke - but if you foil, the water is trapped in the foil and tends to steam the meat - steaming - a little is nice but a lot gives you over cooked meat.

I foil brisket - but I do it carefully
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
What does foiling your meat do during a smoke? ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Speeds up the cooking process, with some negative trade-offs. In a perfect world, no foil; in most people's world, foil sometimes helps out a lot.

Paul

For chicken don't bother. Pork butts as a last resort to speeden a cook.

For ribs be careful, too long and you will have mushy ribs.

For larger tougher cuts of beef (brisket, chuck roast, etc.), foiling or braising is beneficial.

Foiling/braising means that the meat is cooking and steaming in it's own juices and any other liquid or flavors added to the foiled meat.

For beef at the time of foiling, adding complimentary flavors like red wine, minced garlic, onions, more rub should produce tender and flavorful results.

For ribs adding juices like pineapple and/or apple along with melted margarine and rub should produce good results.

Many participants of que competitions, foil both ribs and brisket.

John

With ribs, if you like them leaning towards the "falling off the bone" spectrum of doneness, there is no easier way. I've hit the mark a few times without foiling, but I haven't figured out which variables contributed to it (I almost think I occasionally get better meat/fat in the baby backs those times I come closer to what I want).

Basically, steaming the ribs for 30-45 minutes in the middle of the cook is the super shortcut to making them tender, but more than that (and I'm sure a few people are scoffing) I think it behaves similarly in a rib cook to what brining does for say, Turkey or chicken. The steaming makes them almost fool-proof tender, whether you cook them at the wrong temperature/screw it up or otherwise.

I'm to the point now where I just set time aside and when they look like they are half done I foil them with pineapple juice for a bit (~30 minutes or until I like how the ribs are texture-wise) and then take the foil off and increase the heat. Then the BBQ goes on.

It's probably not what most people on here would probably consider competition-style (or probably even preferred) but it tastes good to me and other people seem to enjoy.

OK, This helps. I thought foiling meant keeping them foiled throughout the whole cooking process. This makes sense. Does sound like a lot of extra work, though! I am a 5-6 out rib cooker, so this may help me out. I had to trash my last set of ribs. Six hours was too long......too many adult beverages!

Jeff,

I'm having success using the 2-2-1 method for baby backs. That means 2 hours without foil; 2 hours with foil (and some goodies added like butter, brown sugar, honey & apple juice); and 1 hour without foil and maybe BBQ sauce for the last 15 minutes. Temp 225-235.

The sauce I use is KC Masterpiece with honey added (ala BRITU). My wife and daughters like 'em sweet.

With spares, it's 3-2-1.

Back