Foiling & sand

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Still learning,
I read allot of post about foiling ribs while smoking. Can anyone explain what that means in some detail? Also I read about using sand in the water pan. I am really confused on this one. I thought the pan was for keeping meat moist. Has anyone used beer in the pan?

A wealth of water pan information.

A period in foil mid-cook tenderizes and accelerates finishing times for ribs and other meats like pork butt. A popular rib-foiling technique is known as the "3-2-1 method". A quick forum search on the term will give tons of insight.

Like Doug says the foiling tenderizes the ribs. Be careful though as the 2 hour foil time in the 3-2-1 is probably too much. Best advice is to check them, and use the toothpick test for tenderness.

The water pan is just a heat sink. Sand doesn't evaporate, and is easier to clean, but if temps should spike during a cook it is more difficult to bring temps back down as easily as water.

I am in no hurry,
Satureday is MY day, no phones, no work, no computers, no one is going to get me to do anything. I read some about the 3-2-1 method, some good, some not so good.
I am looking to try loinbacks or baby back. Depending on what I can find. Iv'e got rib racks, but never used them. As I said, I am abosultely in no hurry. Just would to really learn the best rib technique.
My Satureday (when I can get em off) consists of a well planned smoke seesion and a case of beer. 7-11 is just a block away if I run out of beer.
My employer recently asked me what my goals were. I dont thinl I scored any points when I told him I wanted to learn how make the BRITU.

You'll eventually learn to judge your ribs by their color. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but when they get a certain color it's time to foil. I'll check them in about 30 minutes.

Sometimes they'll stay foiled an hour or so.

I cook spares as opposed to loin backs. My max foil time is 45 min., but last time I did 30 and liked them better. For me, it adds just the right amount of tenderness for the spares. I also finish without foil till toothpick tender between bones.

Water/sand are both heat sinks - help maintain lower pit temps by taking up the heat. Water can continue to take up the heat so long as you replenish it - thus, a real saftey net for not letting temps get away. Sand can't do that so you need to be more careful with vent control. With sand, you get radiant heat on the meat on bottom grate, if used, and that can be a problem. Using sand reduces the cleanup effort.

Paul

Back