Foiling Rolled Ribs

Bill W.

TVWBB Member
I'm going to be cramming my WSM this weekend so I'm planning on rolling my spares to create more room. I'd like to foil the ribs but will it make a difference if it's rolled? What would you do?

Rolling the ribs is to allow the maximum possible racks in the WSM "Smoker". Once the ribs have got some smoke and developed a crust which takes anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. Note do not try and rush the smoke by making poor little WSM belch heavy smoke that makes for bitter food. When you are rready to foil unroll, foil and finish. You can finish in the WSM or the oven the purists know the difference the ribs are clueless wrapped in foil. Stacked flat foiled ribs cook just fine.

Bill,

The discussion thread "First try at Ribs" touched on your question. The ribs can be unrolled flat (they're not too stiff) and then wrapped in foil.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm planning on doing an 8 to 10 lb. butt on the bottom rack and I'm going to try and squeeze 4 racks of spares on the top rack. We'll see how it turns out...

Back