Foiled ribs - Where did the spice rub go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete D.

TVWBB Member
I just used my new WSM for the first time. I cooked spare ribs and utilized the 3-2-1 method. This was also the first time that I have used foil when smoking ribs. I smoked for 3 hr, put the ribs in the foil along with a little apple juice, sealed tightly and put back on the smoker for 2 hr. At the end, of the foil time the meat was coming off the bone. I probably went too far in the foil, but that's the way I like it. Iput the naked ribs back in the smoker for about 30 min.

My question is, I applied a spice rub the night before which I could barely taste. Was all the steaming in the foil washing it off? Should I just apply the rub heavier in the beginning, or should I put additional rub on sometime during the cooking proccess?

Thanks.

If you should happen pass through Memphis some day (my family home, don't let the CA thing fool ya. I also have family in the Carolinas and in Texas. I was born in Virginia) and order ribs, don't be surprised if there is no liquid tomato saucy stuff to be seen.

Traditionally, after fast smoking the ribs (a little chewier) a dry rub is reapplied to serve. The spices tend to mellow when cooked with your meat. A dash at the end gives it a nice firey finish. Works well for pork butt too. When you're pullin', add just a bit of rub for fun.

pduck.....

Apply more rub before foiling. I apply rub the night before and then add more just before smoking. I also will apply rub again after spraying with juice. I have also used brown sugar to apply before foiling.

If you are not using a sauce, then more rub during the cook is in order. You can even sprinkle more rub on prior to serving...as Chet mentioned.

The pros call this approach layering...which several of the MIM cooks utilize. Again, as Chet mentioned, heat changes the flavor of many spices so adding them throughout the cook gives a certain depth of flavor.

Hope this helps.

GO PACK!!!!!

Welcome pduck!!

Where in Wisconsin are you smoking from?? I have used the layerd approach a few times mentioned above. I've also used too much rub of a salty rub and had the ribs too salty so the fun part is playing with it and adjusting to your taste.

What was the rub? Many rubs will disappear during the cook. Reappling as other has suggested or a change in rub maybe called for.
Jim

A lot of what will happen to the rub while in foil will depend, too, on if you place the ribs meat side up or down. Certain recipes call for placing meat side down when fruit juices are being added to the foil pouch. I typically do meat side up, but experimented yesterday with meat side down as a method of possibly lessening the time necessary in foil. The result was a much deeper red color to the rendered fat, which could only be the result of one thing-- more rub coming off. When I removed them from the foil to finish for an hour, I applied a finishing rub which, unlike my pre-rub, contains a little salt. The last 30 minutes, they got a glaze of finishing sauce. Came out very good. Added a little of that spicy rendered fat to the baked beans simmering on the bottom grate, too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
Welcome pduck!!

Where in Wisconsin are you smoking from?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tom. I'm up in Appleton

Guess I'll give layering a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back