Foil those Baby-Backs!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Sanchez

TVWBB Super Fan
Esteemed Colleagues,

Did my second cook on my new WSM /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The first cook was baby-back ribs. Today's cook was baby-backs again!

Cooked 8.6 pounds of baby-backs using the BRITU recipe again. This time, heeding the advice of the many veteran smokers on this forum I did the following:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1. Prior to cooking, applied the rub for "only 2 hours"! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif (Last time I applied the rub for 3 hours - and I concur with Minion who asserts that the rub cured the meat! - resulting in a ham-on-a-stick situation!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
<LI>2. This time, I used the 3-2-1 method for cooking. (3 hours rack, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour rack)
<LI>3. This time, I basted the ribs about every 90 minutes with apple juice in a spray bottle. Toward the end of the cook, I applied the KC Masterpiece & honey blend - as specified in the recipe.
[/list]
The net result, was a dramatic improvement in tenderness, juiciness and taste /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Not sure which variable change made the most difference, but I suspect that wrapping the ribs in foil for 2 hours played a big role. Perhaps it was a combination of all 3 things.

Thanks for the tips guys!

-Albert

gotta agree with you there/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

today cooked 3 racks of bb's using Stogie's method.

2 hours
mop
1 hour
mop,foil,a little brown sugar
2.5 hours
sauce

without a doubt the best ribs ive had..used BRITU rub and made 3 sauces (homeade ketchup sauce, a mustard sauce, and a honey hot).

cooked with cherry wood, fantastic/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
thanks for the help Stogie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert Sanchez:
Prior to cooking, applied the rub for"only 2 hours"!(Last time I applied the rub for 3 hours <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>After rubbing I alway's put ribs back in the fridge. 2 hours sounds like the way to go

Normally I don't foil bbacks but on Saturday I was pressed for time so I did it. Put on rub about 7:30am, put ribs on at 8:00am with a couple of handfuls of mesquite, cooked for two hours with lid closed, foiled at 10:00am put a little apple juice in each foil packet, took out of foil at 11:00am and continued cooking, put some sweet baby rays on ribs about 11:20, finished cook at 11:45am and left ribs sit for five minutes, sliced and delivered to some friends at 12:00am straight up. Turned out really great, used bonesmokers rubs and sweet baby rays. Total time on smoker 3hours and 45 minutes. They would have been good turnins, nice texture, just a slight tug when biting from bone, sweet as he**, nice flavor from bonesmokers. Love the WSM for doing a few racks at a time. (Have our Klose mobile when I need 40-50 done at the same time)

Just cooked 3 racks of baby backs using the 3-2-1 method and they are definately the best yet. I just became a believer in foil.

Does anyone know if the 3-2-1 method would work with pork spares?

Barry....

It will work, but you may have to extend the cooking times slightly depending on the weight of the slab. I have been using St. Louis trimmed spares that weigh-in at 2 1/2lbs. and this method works fine.

Good luck!

Kevin,

Can you give me a guideline on the extended times? I figure spares take about 6 hours total when doing them on the WSM the whole time without foiling.

Thanks

And now for a stupid question. When foiling the ribs, do you foil them individually, or is it okay to stack and wrap as one package? and... I've never used a mop before. If spraying them with a spray bottle, how much? Soak or lightly coat? Thanks for putting up with me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Not sure how the masters do it, but I wrapped each slab individually and generously sprayed with AJ before sealing up. Also sprinkled a little extra rub on before foiling which my have been a little too much.

From Stogie's post it's my understanding that you wrap each slab individually. If space is a problem - you can then stack the wrapped slabs.

I wrapped each slab individually.. applied a generous amount of apple/vinegar/oil baste, and put a little brown sugar on top before foiling.
(just as Stogie suggested)

these ribs were perfect and better than any I've ever had.

I thought the 3-2-1 method was for spares and you needed to shorten it for baby backs, unless you wanted the meat to fall off the bones.

Maybe it's just me, but 2 hours in the foil is way too long. 30-45 minutes and the ribs are almost falling apart.

I've put two slabs in each foil wrap and it works fine, but I'm cheap (saves foil).

2 hours in foil worked perfect for me. Meat was not falling off the bone, but was very tender.

Ken H,

I wrapped all the racks of ribs together within one single sheet of wide foil (because I didn't know any better)

HOWEVER , they still turned out really, really, really, really, really, really, really GOOD!!! Best ribs I've ever had /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back