Foil Spares?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I'm having a Q this weekend - planning to cook 3 slabs of spares. Expecting to serve around 7 PM. Planning for 6 hr smoke. I live in the SouthEast and we have been hammered with late afternoon/evening storms. I was thinking if I could finish my smoke around 3:00 to 4:00 PM I might avoid the storms - the area I smoke has no cover. What do think the best thing to do with the spares until I serve? Foil in oven - what temp? Foil in cooler? Or...bad idea and just take a risk on the weather. Thanks for any assistance!

When the ribs are done I just put them onto a sheet pan and loosely cover with foil. I dont worry about keeping them warm. When all are done to my liking I then put them onto a grill, gas or charcoal, and sauce them till gooey.

I used to do a modified 321 but found the ribs to be too well done for my liking.

I also live in the SE and know what you're talking about.

I believe I would either risk the bad weater and try to finish within an hour of serving, or refrigerate and reheat in foil with a little moisture added. With meat as thin as ribs, they may not hold the heat well enough for the cooler thing. In the oven for that long, even at a low temp, you're risking drying out which ribs can do easily.

Personally, I think spares reheat well and would still be delicious. However, you might even want to consider a microwave reheat, because they can go to absolutely falling off the bone tender pretty quickly while reheating in foil in your oven.

Best of luck to you and have a great time.

Paul

I've had spares foiled in a cooler for two hours, and they were still plenty hot. I just made sure to line the cooler with lots and lots of dish towels, and then heaped a bunch on top. Four hours might be pushing it though.

Or you could just get and umbrella and make sure the WSM doesn't get wet.
icon_wink.gif

Paul:

I like the fridge/r-heat approach you recommend. That would give me a chance to start real early and "possibly" eliminate weather issues. If I re-heated in oven, how long and what temp do you recommend? Little Apple juice for the moisture or light coat of Q sauce?

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I also live in the SE and know what you're talking about.

I believe I would either risk the bad weater and try to finish within an hour of serving, or refrigerate and reheat in foil with a little moisture added. With meat as thin as ribs, they may not hold the heat well enough for the cooler thing. In the oven for that long, even at a low temp, you're risking drying out which ribs can do easily.

Personally, I think spares reheat well and would still be delicious. However, you might even want to consider a microwave reheat, because they can go to absolutely falling off the bone tender pretty quickly while reheating in foil in your oven.

Best of luck to you and have a great time.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would guess 30 or 45 min. or so at a very low of heat of say 200. My preference would be to use the AJ spray and then have the sauce warmed and available for the guest to use as they wish. While its not very dramatic, nuking is also a good way to warm them up without drying out. I usually do it that way and slice the individual ribs first while they're cold. That way you want mess up the meat if its gotten too warm.

Paul

Thanks for your help Paul and all others that responded..really appreciate it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I would guess 30 or 45 min. or so at a very low of heat of say 200. My preference would be to use the AJ spray and then have the sauce warmed and available for the guest to use as they wish. While its not very dramatic, nuking is also a good way to warm them up without drying out. I usually do it that way and slice the individual ribs first while they're cold. That way you want mess up the meat if its gotten too warm.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To reheat, I grill them over low direct heat, but I've had really good luck with putting the ribs on a foil-lined broiler pan, spraying with a little apple juice (could probably glaze lightly with sauce) and reheating about 4 inches below the heat source of a broiler (mine is electric) until heated through. They get just a little crispy around the edges; nice texture and I haven't had dry ones yet. (At least probably not until my very next batch, now that I've mentioned it.)
Rita

Back