Foil Question

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
I need some help with my baby back ribs before I decide to use the 3/2/1 technique. I usually cook my ribs the same method as the BRITW technique, with the ribs "rolled up" using a skewer. Have had good results so far, but I am looking for that fall off the bone tenderness. Can you foil while they are in this position? I plan on using foil after about 3 to 3.5 hrs, and should i just unroll the ribs, then wrap? If so, does it matter what side is down?

Basically looking for a way to add foil to the BRITW method.

Unroll the ribs, place in foil bone-side down. Then you can just stack them on the grate. Problem will be when you go to unfoil, you probably won't be able to re-roll them.

Russell -

You should really unroll them when you foil. You don't want a lot of air in the foil "package." Essentially this way they braise in the foil, making the extra tender.

I don't think it makes a big difference which way is down - mine are always bone-side down when I foil, but I could see the case for the other way around... with the meatier side down, I suppose the braising my be a little quicker. Not sure, but you could try.

Russell -

I only spritz the ribs liberally with pineapple - I don't pour water into it. However, some people here definitely do - adding around a 1/4 cup of liquid (pineapple, apple juice, apple vinegar, combos, all sorts of options).

I asked once how tight to wrap - Keri C. here on this board gave good instruction - wrap very tight - you want as little air in there as possible. Most important, make sure you wrap it tightly so you aren't getting liquid escaping either.

Take a look through the thread below. Lots of good info in response to some of the same questions you are having here. Keri's post at the end is really helpful.

Good thread on ribs

You also don't want moisture escaping, either. Use an ample amount of HD foil so that you can bring the edges together, and fold them over a couple times-- like they make those pouches on the Reynolds commercials-- before flattening it against the rack. Same with the ends.

Ok, last question.....if i were to apply pineapple juice during the foil process, would its sweetness conflict with my BBQ sauce? I use Sticky Fingers Sauce (Memphis Orig), which is a red sauce. I'm not really interested in combining my sauce with honey, so do ya'll recommend any sauces that mix well with the pineapple juice?

Russell, at 90 minutes foiled with juice, for me, some BB ribs have literally been falling off the bone and difficult to grill.

If adding juice, I suggest 60 minutes then go from there.

Russell,

I usually apply some of my rub to the ribs before foiling and give my ribs about 2 to 3 spritzes of apple juice (sometimes apple juice mixed with a little oil).

After foiling, depending on who I'm cooking for, I apply a little bit of rub to the ribs and grill, or I may add BBQ sauce.

The sauce I use depends on the rub. Hot spicey rub, I use a sweet sauce. Non-spicey rub I use a sauce with a little bite to it. Then again at times I serve the ribs with several different sauces on the side.

I smoke using a combination of apple & cherry wood. The portions of each depends on how I feel that day.

Hope this helps.

Back