FLIES!

Bug a salt is cool and fun, used my buddies.......but didn't get one up here across the boarder due mainly to the cost to get me one.
My folks live on a hobby farm so there is everything out there, lots of poop too.
They have these around like crazy and they do work pretty good. I don't know what brand they use or if that even matters but I have seen bags with many hundreds of dead flies in them. They may not get them all but they get a lot.
Google fly bag catcher or something.

1690465286087.png

I've used traps and bug zappers but get the best results out of good old fly paper. Just hang a couple rolls on either side and 2 or 3 feet from the door. It doesn't stink so you can even hang indoors to snag the few that get inside.

My next-door neighbor is a trapper. Several years ago, we had an infestation that appeared to be thickest near the fence between our yards. I hung 3 or 4 rolls of fly paper on of the fence and, in a matter of an hour the fly paper was loaded with flies, and they were almost non-existent just a few feet away. I went next door and asked the neighbor if he had a gut bucket in the yard. He must have forgotten about it but there was one right next to the fence. He hauled it away. I replaced the fly paper and within a couple of hours, the only flies around were stuck to the fly paper.

I use these. They smell bad so they need to be located away from where you are. They pull in a bunch of flies.

TERRO T380 Outdoor Reusable Fly Magnet Fly Trap - Poison Free Fly Killer and Trap with Bait https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RBDW/?tag=tvwb-20
These are the ones I use and they work great. One or two of them usually are enough to keep the fly population pretty low during the July to end of Fall timeframe for my yard. I keep them about 20 or 30 feet away from the garage/patio area to draw the flies all away to their demise. There's the occasional straggler that doesn't get drawn in, but it keeps the population about 95% lower than it would be without the traps. I hide them in the bushes or behind the gazebo. Much better imo than looking at fly paper with corpses stuck all over it, which was my old method of fly control.

My dad was a firm believer in the fly ribbons. He had them in the garage because he said the flies come in from the garage, pretty gross covered in flies. As a kid I remember watching the flies bouncing off of the window trying to go outside.:LOL:

I was just going to post up a thread but found this in a search. I live out in the country in the ag zone. We get a lot of flies at certain times of the year. Early on during my tenure here, we used those fly bags with the attractant. They work, but smell absolutely horrible and if you don't dump them in time, the maggots show up. They also don't draw flies from the porch. We too have defaulted to fly ribbons. Way less disgusting than the bags and you can use them on a porch next to the entryways. Hardly any flies out there earlier. And then I fired up the Q... My wife is bringing some fresh packs of fly ribbon when she gets here tomorrow.

Did it work? I have lots of flies at the beach while I'm trying to smoke a brisket for fifteen guys...
No did nothing to help me. Still battling it. Though for some reason this year is not as bad. I know everyone has been complaining about such a "hot summer" but quite honestly here in our little corner of "paradise" it's been VERY reasonable. Hardly needing the AC today i.e. it will barely break 70 for a high. Actually have the house pretty much closed up because it's only mid 50s now.
So I see al these memes on how people be hating this summer. "Oh so hot". And I'm here wishing we'd GET summer!

We've used these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Raid-Fly-Stick-Trap-Traps-Flying-Insects/28924245 that we get from Walmart which are similar to the ones that you linked from Amazon, but need to be baited with something such as honey (or whatever attracts the insects you're trying to trap).

We use them near our front door, but mainly for wasps, and they do seem to work for those, as well as catching other insects.. However, we don't usually have an annual fly invasion like you describe, so I don't know how effective they are against that many flies.

One of these traps once caught a small bird (a chickadee, if I recall) that was attracted to what it thought was an easy meal, and my wife had to free the poor thing.

We've used these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Raid-Fly-Stick-Trap-Traps-Flying-Insects/28924245 that we get from Walmart which are similar to the ones that you linked from Amazon, but need to be baited with something such as honey (or whatever attracts the insects you're trying to trap).

We use them near our front door, but mainly for wasps, and they do seem to work for those, as well as catching other insects.. However, we don't usually have an annual fly invasion like you describe, so I don't know how effective they are against that many flies.

One of these traps once caught a small bird (a chickadee, if I recall) that was attracted to what it thought was an easy meal, and my wife had to free the poor thing.
Yes I had to bait the ones I have as well. I forgot what I used now LOL. I caught lots of things but VERY few flies LOL

One of these traps once caught a small bird (a chickadee, if I recall) that was attracted to what it thought was an easy meal, and my wife had to free the poor thing. I put up some ribbons today. Sticky mess that blow around in the breeze. Cost me $5 to learn that lesson. Caught a few flies so far but not enough to make it worthwhile.
I discovered the ribbons are no good (blow around) and I see the sticks are rated up to 150 flies. They won't solve the problem either. I need a WMD solution!

The flies haven't been bad at all so far but the little gnats are everywhere when I'm outside.
Wanna get one of those mosquito net hats when outside.

Well now I'm getting cicada's popping out of the ground, I've read something about them and these little gnats or mites being in cahoots.
Damn invasion.

Every year about this time in Washington we get fruit flies.
This year I finally won the battle with them lil buggers.
I made several diy traps that worked somewhat ok.
I also bought some off of Amazon and that helped .
The best thing I did to finally get rid of them was to put our recycle can outside to our side deck area.

Our place in California gets hit hard with black flies every few years.
For some reason critters like to go and die in our creek and that’s is when we get a fly infestation.

Our place in Washington doesn’t have any fresh water near it so as long as I have no trapped water we are mosquito free.
As soon as I get lazy with open buckets or poor drainage we will get mosquitoes again.

Never really had a lot of black flies up here.
Had a few but never an infestation.

Black flies suck.
They for some reason always seem to land on you in the exact same spot.
I’ve never won an infestation battle with them.
They seem to stay until they are done no matter what I do.

Back