Flavorizer bars and their design

Michal Prussak

I bought an aftermarket set of replacement flavorizer bars for my Weber Genesis grill. They fit, but they are not quite the same as the original bars. The original bars have slanted corners, so that there is a gap from the grill wall at the end of each bar. And they also have two holes, one on each end. The replacement bars don't have either of these features. The question is - how does that matter? And does it matter enough to splurge on the original flavorizer bars? The original bars (stainless) lasted me 7 years of rather frequent usage - 2-3 times per week. So that is pretty good. I could be convinced to get the original bars if their design results in some kind of a noticeable difference. Any thoughts about why the original bars are the way they are? Presumably these gaps are intentional for the flow of hot air, but what is the impact of that?

1600550552025.png

I assumed, on the pocelainized bars, that the holes were a way to hang the bars from hooks during the porcelainizing process. And the reason for the slanting, I'm guessing, could be to allow the hot air trapped under the bars to flow out the ends instead of being directed against the sidewall. That's my guess, anyway.

The reason for the hole is the dies used for making them are used on both the porcelain and stainless versions. So on the plain steel ones the hole is used to hang them for porcelain coating and baking

The angled end flavor bars are on the front burner grills. I have no idea why. I would imagine it's easier to cut a 90 degree.

i believe the holes at least in the new genesis are there for you to see the flame to make sure the flame is lit. To answer your question, I would not worry about the slant or the hole difference

Makes sense with the hole for the porcelain enameled bars. I noticed that inside my grill there is a heat shield protecting the control panel (for the left half of the grill). Mine is falling apart, and I see that the new flavorizer bars have a very small gap to that heat shield. I suspect that the angled part may have to do with getting the heat shield to last longer. And perhaps with getting the control panel less impacted by the heat. Maybe in a few years of using the straight cut bars I will be able to tell.

When I was throwing away my bars I noticed they were actually the porcelain enameled kind, not the stainless steel. So having them last 7 years of frequent usage is quite impressive.

mine lasted maybe 5 years, was unable to find originals when they went, bought a cheat set and they didn't cover the liter tube on the back and it got ruined, put a new set of burners and bars in awhile back, nothing cheap is going to cost me a set of burners again if I can help it.

Back