Flavor Injectors - Williams-Sonoma?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Williams-Sonoma carries a flavor injector:

http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?skus=6365316&pkey=xsrd0m1%7C15%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Cflavor%20injector&gids=sku6365316&cmsrc=sch

Has anyone tried it? It seems quite sturdy and the plunger fits very snugly in the chamber, but it only has one fairly large (about 1/16”) hole at the end of the needle, rather than in the sides. It seems large enough not to clog from stray herbs or such in the injection liquid. The needle's point is cut at an angle, but I’m wondering if the meat will clog it as it is inserted into the meat.

Has anyone tried this one? Did it clog? Is the hole in the meat too large to keep the injection liquid in?

Rita

Bob, I'm glad that you are having good luck with the Cajun injector. I may have had a "lemon" -- I returned one several months ago because the cap's threads were stripped and the plunger allowed the injection liquid to back up in the chamber above the plunger.

Actually, I think the Cajun injector has holes on both sides of the needle shaft instead of at the very tip like the Williams-Sonoma model. That's why I was wondering if the Williams-Sonoma model might get clogged up with meat while it was being inserted.

Rita

Rita
I would stay away from the Willams-Sonoma unit for that exct reason. I found $3 injectors at WalMart. They are heavy plastic with metal needles, kinda like the green plastic injector from Cajun.
Jim

Jim, I looked at Walmart for the injectors that you described a few months ago. Our local Walmart had some for a price close to yours, but I didn't think they looked quite like the ones you described. Maybe I was wrong.

I did buy a couple, though, and will probably go with these and not the Williams-Sonoma, although it looked to be really well made. That open tip bothered me.

Our Walmart carries the injectors with New Braunfels written on a Texas emblem on the package, and the words Marinade Injector. It's Model# 18503604 and does have one hole on each *side* of the shaft near the tip. Its plunger handle is topped off with just a white disk, rather than the curvy plunger handle of the (plastic) Cajun Injectors.

I just now found a picture of it here - it's the top injector:

http://www.nbsmoker.com/accessories2.html

I see on the same page that they make a heavy-duty injector which sounds more like the one you were talking about. I might take that picture to my Walmart and see if I can get them to order that model.

Meanwhile, I have 2 of the lightweight ones.

Rita

Rita,
Was your Cajun Injector the metal or plastic one? If it was the metal one, I hope I have better luck! My Brother gave it to me for a present about a week after I bought a plastic one from a cooking supply store near me. I still have the plastic one as a backup

I have had bad luck with the cheap plastic injectors. I am rough on stuff so that is probably the reason. In fact I havent got one now that isnt broken to some extent. I have seen pics of the Cabelas injectors and they arent cheap, but look like they can handle me. Anyone tried one of those?

Bob, the one I returned was the small, all-metal Cajun injector that you linked above. As I said, it might have been a lemon, or someone might have messed it up and returned it - and they tried to resell it....to me.

Let us know how yours works after several cooks.

Dale, I'd say that the purpose of using cheap plastic injectors is that they are pretty much disposable, so if you only get a couple of uses from them you don't lose too much cash when you have to chuck them.

Rita

I should have the all metal Cajun injector from Bruce Foods arriving soon. I spent weeks trying to convince the pharmacists to sell me a big syringe, they seemed suspicious. Meanwhile my mother in law walks in and says it for removing bubbles from wall paper.
I hope the injector that is due to arrive is of a differently quality to Rita's. I'll post back when I can give a better report.

morgan

I actually have the larger one, but I'm sure the are the same but for the length. I have used it at least 1/2 dozen times now, and this eve, will use it again (I hope lol) on some pork tenderloin I'm grilling. Like I said, I do have a plastic back-up Just in case!
icon_wink.gif

I saw an all SS at Lowe's yesterday made by Eastman. Looked quite good and cost was right at $20.

Paul

Tom, yours looks to be essentially the Cajun Injector. I believe that Chef Williams is or was their spokesperson. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They might have redesigned the injector after the couple that I bought some years ago, which cracked after a few uses. The picture on their site looks a little different.

I'm glad that yours is working well for you. Someone out there needs to design a reliable injector that would get across-the-board rave reviews, though.

Rita

Rita,

I've always used plastic injectors, and never had any problems.
I always buy ones meant for use with turkeys; don't know if that makes a difference.

Back