Flavor from other stuff inside the WSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter O.

TVWBB Member
I was looking through the kitchen to find something to stick my thermometer into during a smoke and came across an onion. I was going to use it until I began thinking that my ribs would taste like onions.

Anyone smoke anything to give the other stuff you're smoking a particular flavor?

Well, I HAVE made a special trip to the store to buy a butt to smoke on the top rack when I had a brisket flat on the bottom....

I've put both onions and whole heads of garlic in the smoker when I've had something else going, and quite enjoyed the smell, but I never actually thought of them as adding additional flavor to the meats. A few onion halves or thick slices on the grates sure do smell good cookin', though!
icon_smile.gif

I agree with Keri! They do smell good, but I have never noticed anything in the water pan adding much if any flavor to the meat being cooked!

Im not speaking from experience but the ribs may pick up a faint hint of onion or garlic...but then again that would probably be a good thing.

Pete, welcome to the site. Its always great to see another person from CT here. Youre the closest to me yet. Practically neighbors.

I have always wondered if I did fish If my cooker would make everything fishy from then on. I have kept fish to the kettle for fear of turning the WSM into a fishy nightmare...Is this justified?

I feel the same way Chris. My wife keeps telling me I should smoke some salmon but am really afraid of a lingering smell. Others here have done fish and say there is no smell after but Im still a bit leary.

Don't fear the fish. I've done Cardog's salmon (see the seafood cooking topic for recipe) many times on my WSM and have had no lingering odors. You DO need to oil your grate very well before placing your fish on it. The grate will smell fishy till you clean it, but it can be easily scrubbed - rub the grate down with a cut lemon before cleaning, and that will help the smell and will also help cut the residue on the grate. I've had no problems with the cooker itself smelling fishy.

That Cardog salmon is some absolutely WONDERFUL stuff. Don't let the amounts of the cure and rub scare you - use the whole thing. You won't be sorry.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I don't fear the fish. No lingering fishy smell here. I do however scrub my grates after every cook.

Another thing you can do with the salmon to prevent skin from sticking to the grate is place your salmon on a piece of parchment paper cut to fit.

I second Keri and Shawn. I have cooked the Cardogs Salmon as well, and people have told me it is "The Best" salmon they have ever eaten. Being in the Northwest, that says a lot for the recipe! Never noticed any lingering smell or flavor afterwards either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back