Flat top grill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom L

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone devised a nice way to raise the grate on a 22" to do things like skewers or yakitori? With the grate sitting down inside the kettle, the skewers don't sit flat and cook evenly.

Not my idea, but someone posted on using the Weber Charcoal Railsalong with a 2nd charcoal grate to raise the coals for a better sear. If you have the rails and another top grate that should work.

Tim

I think Timothy is confused as to what you want to do.
I think you could get some thin fire bricks
and stack a second grill on top.
You could use just about anything thats not flammable or harmful.
AJ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
can't visualize what yer issue is. maybe a bit more on that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need the grilling surface to be as high as the sides of kettle. Imagine a shish kabob on a bamboo skewer. If you just place the meat on the grill the skewer sits up on the lip of the kettle and causes the kabob to slant down where the tip of the meat is on the grill but most of it is above the grill on an angle. I had thought about a 26" grill grate and just placing it on top of the open kettle but those things are expensive!
Thanks
Tom

get 4 regular bricks and wrap them in 2 layers of heavy duty foil. Make two rows of 1-2 bricks each. Lay your skewers across them.

I've used this setip for about 5 years. The bricks have not spalled or anything. I also use the bricks to keep the coals on one side of the grill for an indirect steup. Works great for Indian/Tandoori style kababs with metal skewers.

Na I'm not confused, maybe just didn't xplain it enuff. You take the charcoal rails and hook em in the original top grate. Take a 2nd cooking grate and rotate it @ 90° to the rails and set it on top. That's the height that Tom mentions he needs. Easy peasy if you have the rails and another grate like I have. I took some pics but my smarter than me phone has alost data connection. When ever that comes back, I'll edit and add some pics...

A coupla other options that I read on the board. If you want to use just your standard grate, than get some steel flat or round stock, place that on top of the kettle, than set your grate on top of that.
Another one (I'm sure you remember this George) is using 4 conduit or EMT straps bent to fit the lip of your kettle, than again set yer grate on that..

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back