Fixing L-bracket frame connectors in Genesis 1

Steven Felix

Hi,
Has anyone ever had to fix those L-bracket-like inserts that allow you to screw together the various parts of the old Genesis frames? Picture:

IMG_0744.JPG

The frame did not feel very study, so I took it apart, and I believe its because these brackets are almost rusted off. If anyone has dealt with this in the past and has some advice, I'd be very appreciate. Thanks!

Hi, for a repair, it’s best to weld the brackets and legs if you can using gussets.
If welding is not available mechanically fasten gussets with screws to the frame members to keep the frame square and solid.

If you see another old Genesis for sale with a better frame, that might be the least expensive solution. The 1,2,3 series did not have casters on the left side. The later 1000-5000 series had casters. You should be able to use a more common 1000 series frame to restore your 1.

It seem like there are other areas that are rusting as well. If this will be a grill you plan on keeping a long time, you might want to get the frame media blasted. At that point you can have any needed repairs completed by a welder. Nothing new comes close to these old Gennies.

If you see another old Genesis for sale with a better frame, that might be the least expensive solution. The 1,2,3 series did not have casters on the left side. The later 1000-5000 series had casters. You should be able to use a more common 1000 series frame to restore your 1.

It seem like there are other areas that are rusting as well. If this will be a grill you plan on keeping a long time, you might want to get the frame media blasted. At that point you can have any needed repairs completed by a welder. Nothing new comes close to these old Gennies.
Thanks! I may be able to grab a frame from a Genesis 2000. Is there any reason the firebox and burner assemblies I have from the the Gen 1 wouldn't be compatible with the longer 2000 frame?

Steven,

Those will both interchange. The newer Silver/Gold boxes and control panels do NOT work on the x000 or 1-5 frames.

Steven,

Those will both interchange. The newer Silver/Gold boxes and control panels do NOT work on the x000 or 1-5 frames.
Jon, are the manifolds and control panels different between the 1 series and 1000's? I see pics of those early grills with a condiment rack to the right of the control panel, but mounted within the frame rails. I wondered if the manifold and control panel were different or the frame was just longer.

They are the same size. Over the years the look changed and the way they are supported went from a metal bracket with a curve holder to just wire clips. The control panel graphics also changed some, but they still all work on any grill regardless of how wide the frame is. Not so with the later Silver/Gold stuff.

The Genesis 1 with that condiment rack just had a slightly wider frame than the later 1000 series. I think that was a cool looking, if not all that practical, touch.

Back