Fixed my greasy ribs problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Solution was to extend cook time and be more picky about the tear test. Did 3 racks and the thinnest of the 3 was ready at about 5 hours, the others more like 5.5 hours. Ran 230 first 3 hours than 260 afterward a'la BRITU.

Earlier cooks were running more like 4.5-5 hours each and not as hot at the end.

Next on the agenda is to spray ribs with juice last 15 minutes of cooking then apply a rub optimized for barely any cook time.

Thanks to all for their help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb] Jason
I'm interested in your ideas on a rub optimized for a 15 min cook.
Jim [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Me to!

Jim Warren

Jim & Jim:

I don't know what Jason is referring to and I hate to butt in, however when I am preparing Corky's style Memphis Dry Rub ribs, I put a heavy sprinkling of rub on the ribs (primarily paprika based) for the last 15-20 minutes of cooking. This limited period binds the rub to the ribs without burning.

I would point out that there is no sauce on these ribs, and the finishing rub is much different in composition from a standard BRITU type rub (which incidentally, is on there as well). I would call this rub more of a finishing coating if that makes any sense.

Again, I hate to butt in to Jason's post, but thought this might be helpful.

That's what I meant: a "rub" for the last 15 minutes of cooking. For example a finishing rub migyt have less cayenne since less time to mellow, same for cumin. It might have more MSG. Something optimized for being smoked 5 hours will be different that the optimal seasonings to sprinkle on at the end.

Thats great Jason!

My first try at ribs wasn't much of anything. I also did BRITU and they ended up very hammy and I think I didn't cook them nearly long enough. Next try I'm going to use a commercial rub and baby backs vs. spares. I'll make sure I cook them right this time.

Jason, I have had to really started to watch my cooker temps and adjust the time accordingly. If the cooker takes a little longer to get up to 250, I leave them on longer before I start tearing on them.
I also had Wesleys hammy rib taste the first time I tried BRITU. I cut the salt in half and use more than a dusting now, my rib eaters give them 2 sauce covered thumbs up!
I picked up a slab of spares yesterday, couldn't resist, marked down. Put them on with the BB's, they were good, but needed more time in the cooker.
I plan on trying the dry rub on some of the next batch. Let us know how they turn out.

My thing is I have nothing really to compare it to. I get ribs on Friday's from our local BBQ joint for lunch and they are tender as the could be. Now I say tender but you guys may think it's mushy. I really need to venture to a cookoff and see what the real deal is. Either that or show up on Wayne or Larry's doorstep one Saturday afternoon since they're about 45 min from me /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back