First WSM smoke, with a few pics.

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I have been into grilling for a few years now and finally decided to take up smoking. Last week I got my WSM and for the second time smoked a brisket (first time was on an ECB, bad experience).

I had a great time doing this! But I did make a couple mistakes I believe.

First my probe therm broke and I figited too long with it before finally purchasing a new one. When I got back with the new therm it read around 280 degrees!

Second, I had a late start and it was getting quite late (and it was sunday) so I had to act quick. I decided to finish it off in foil until it reached around 200 degrees.

It turned out mostly good, but some of it was not as moist as I would have liked.

I used a very basic rub that I created (creole, salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder) and I smoked it with mostly cherrywood chunks and 2 hickory chunks for good measure. Flavor was very good but I wish it was a bit more moist.

If you're still reading this then I thank you for reading this long-winded post!
icon_smile.gif

Here it is right out of the smoker. I had to make a cut right down the middle for some reason...not very much bark (probably because it was only smoked for about 10 hours or so)

http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firstcutbh2.jpg

and here are a few slices. I got to see my very first smoke ring! yay!

http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slicesdi0.jpg

Well, there's my first WSM experience... it was great!

- Steve

It looks good! And yeah, maybe the higher heat didn't help, but The WSM will usually run hot on you the first several cooks.

I think I made a third mistake...

last night when I was browsing this site I read that you should wait 30 minutes before cutting a brisket open because all of the juices will come out of the middle. I happen to make my very first cut right in the middle (over-anxious to see it I guess). I should have just waited the 1/2 hour.

Oh well, live and learn! Now I know more of what I should do and what I shouldn't do. I'll mark this one down as a great learning experience with a pretty decent brisket.

- Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Synan:

last night when I was browsing this site I read that you should wait 30 minutes before cutting a brisket open because all of the juices will come out of the middle.

- Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Minimum! I even like to leaved foiled and place in a hot box (cooler) wrapped in towels for a few hours if you have the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Bullock:
Nice lookin brisket!!! I LOVE that smoke ring!!!!!!!

Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I was pretty excited about it. I the ring isn't huge but you should have seen my first brisket attempt on an ECB like 3 years ago. Just about everything went wrong - including a piece of wood catching on fire without me knowing and my temperature was at 500 degrees when I noticed. The bottom of that baby was burnt to say the least. Even though this brisket had dry spots it was MUCH better then that one! To sum it up, my first one didn't have a ring
icon_smile.gif

Back