First WSM cook - got my Mojo rising.......

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've been doing ribs for years but this past weekend was my maiden voyage on my new WSM. I wanted to try something different with my ribs so I got the idea of marinating them in a Mojo Marinade. We have always liked thick porkchops marinated in Badia Mojo Marinade so I figured what the heck.

I picked out 2 great looking racks of babybacks from our local meat market (I'm lucky, we have a local store that actually does their own butchering - their meats are the best). After cleaning and removing the membrane I rolled the ribs and placed them in a Ziploc. I then covered them with 10oz of the Mojo and put them in the fridge. I rotated them around a few times before going to bed and a few more times the next morning to make sure they were good and covered. Overall they marinated around 12 hours.

To make a long story a little bit shorter, I started my fire using a slightly modified version of the Minion method - I lit 5 briquettes and 5 chunks of hickory. Once ready I put them on top of a 1/2 full fire chamber. I then added 3 more small chunks of hickory and put the cooker together. The temp came up pretty quick (it was 85 degrees outside). I had to shut down all the bottom vents to get the temp to come down. Never did get it to stabilize at a low temp so I just ran it a little hot - taking the lid off a little every now and then.

I cooked the ribs for a little over 4 hours (grill level temp stayed around the 260-280 most of the time). Although my ribs came out a little dryer than I like due to the high temp, the taste was out of this world (I think the water pan saved me on this one as it kept a good bit of moisture in the cooker). I was a little concerned that the mojo would overpower the ribs but it didn't (at least not this brand). My wife and I ate both racks - actually I ate 1 1/2 and she ate the other half..... They were great plain but they were even better with a little bit of oh!Brians Rib sauce..

I quickly dropped Chris an email to let him know I had completed by first WSM cook and that I think I'm really on to something with this Mojo. It really worked well with the hickory and gave the ribs a refreshing and different taste - but not too different. I'm going to keep working on this technique and see what happens. It's amazing what you can find when you go out and try something off the wall, who would have ever thought that this ole Eastern NC boy would ever go out on a limb and take the risk of messing up 2 perfectly good racks of babybacks on a brand new cooker - and with Mojo of all things - what the hell is Mojo anyway???

I would encourage you to try this and let me know what you think.

Sorry for the long post.
Happy Q'n

I'm a brand-new member, so I hope I'm doing this right.

In reply to your question about mojo, I'll forward the following information. Hope it's helpful and not too long:

THE WELL-TRAVELED MOJO (from the article "Sizzling Tropical Sauces for Grilled Food" by Norman Van Aken, from Fine Cooking Magazine # 28 (August/September 1998).

"According to my friend Maricel Presilla, a food historian who grew up in Cuba and is writing a book on the cooking traditions of Latin America, mojo (pronounced MOE-HOE, from the Spanish mojar, "to moisten") originated in Spain and came to the New World with the Spanish invaders, who carried it all over Latin America. Mojo then made its way to the Spanish Caribbean, including Cuba and the Dominican Republic.
"Typically, a mojo was a boldly seasoned vinaigrette-type sauce that was heated to infuse its flavors. With the generous flavors of garlic, chiles, and herbs, and the tenderizing effect of an oil- and acid-based medium (the acid was often vinegar or citrus juice), mojo was traditionally used to moisten, marinate, and flavor dry foods like starchy tubers or well-cooked meats.
"As mojo traveled through the New World, it changed to suit the ingredients of different regions. For example, Cubans infused mojo with the juice of a sour orange to create their ubiquitous sauce, mojo criollo (criollo means hand-made but implies "made with love"), which is drizzled on roast pig and other barbecued meats.
"Mojo picked up tropical chiles and fruits in the Caribbean, as well as the spices of different immigrant groups. By the time I encountered mojo in Key West, it wasn't just one mojo, but a big family of mojos. - Norman Van Aken, the executive chef of Norman's in Miami, is the author of "Norman's New World Cuising" (Random House, 1997)

Recipes in the article are grilled, but could be easily used in smoking:
"Mo J" Marinated & Grilled Flank Steak (or Chicken)
Grilled Tuna Steaks with Mango Habanero Mojo (also good with grilled shrimp or pork)
Grilled Shiitakes with Mojo Oriental & Somen Noodles

PS. In the same issue is an excellent article by Paul Kirk on KC barbecued ribs and another by Steve Johnson on brochettes - altogether a great summer issue with lots of other interesting ideas. The table of contents for this issue is at:

http://www.taunton.com/fc/admin/toc/28.htm

Your library might have copies on film, or back issues (they're $5.95) can be ordered from (this is not a solicitation):

http://www.taunton.com/fc/admin/backissues.htm

This site is amazing - I'm OD'ing on all the excellent information and great camaraderie here!

Thanks to all,
Rita

Mojo, I just pickup a Cuban cookbook because of my interest in Mojo Criollo.
I really enjoy the flavors and will be doing more Cuban infusion cooking.
Budman,
You had a lot of wood burning and that's more than likely the reason for your higher than wanted temps.
Let the charcoal take care of the heat and use the wood for smoke.
jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back