First WSM Cook - Easy Does It!

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Ok y'all, I did my first cook on my new WSM. My wife and brutally-honest kids said it was the best I have EVER done!
icon_biggrin.gif
I created my own special rub (very spicey) and a special sauce (sweet) to create my Sweet-N-Spicy Ribs and Chicken.

I took pics of the prep but my camera hosed them. I did get a couple of pics of the finished product though they are not very good. I have to get a new camera - pronto! Anyway, I am posting what I have right now.

I cooked a slab of BB ribs using 3-2-1 and I did about 12 chicken thighs. I wanted to go easy since I was using a brand new cooker and since I have never used a WSM before. The WSM is... well... simply a SWEET cooker! It was everything it has been touted to be. I got my coals on using MM, put my meat on, inserted an Accu-Rite digital through the top vent and the rest was a (pardon the mixed metaphors) piece of cake! This thing almost needs no tending to. Just watch the temps and adjust the vents if needed and you will get hours of steady 220-225 without adding fuel or water! I did add some wood half way through because I was using apple chips and the chips burn up fairly quick. Next time, I will buy chunks instead. The ribs passed the tear-test with flying colors and they tasted awesome! I will; however, tone the spicy-ness down a bit next time, but I am playing with all kinds of rub combinations. The sauce is great too but I have plenty of it left. Usually, my family douses my ribs and chicken with sauce (probably to make it edible), but this time, they said to heck with the sauce - they did not want any!
icon_biggrin.gif
Too bad though, that was a good batch of sauce, but I am honored that they thought the meat was good enough without it! Overall, I think it could have been way better. I am pleased but not satisfied by a long shot. I have lots of work to do.

Well, here are my pics, they can certainly be better but I wanted to give you guys (my mentors) a report card of some sort.

Ribs and Chicken. Ribs going to foil:

Ribs after 1 hour of foil:

Ribs Cut and Ready to eat:

Tony

Glad it came out ok for you. I think you can really over do the pepper/hot flavor of ribs really easy. I have to be careful with the family for that reason, they are not into that as much. The sweet sauce helps to tone it down.
Were you putting the chips in Alum. foil, or tossing them in on the coals. I would head out and get some wood chunks to use for sure. You will be pleased with the results IMHO. Love the pics. I should do that, but never get around to it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...Overall, I think it could have been way better. I am pleased but not satisfied by a long shot. I have lots of work to do.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> first cook in WSM, custom rub, custom sauce, great ribs and you aren't satisfied? Give yourself some credit man!

dang, that looks great to me ... thanks for the pics

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think you can really over do the pepper/hot flavor of ribs really easy. I have to be careful with the family for that reason, they are not into that as much. The sweet sauce helps to tone it down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is hope! I am making progress with my own family, slowly they are becoming accustomed to heat. My son is turning in to quite the pepperhead and now everybody loves the ribs even when they are very hot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Were you putting the chips in Alum. foil, or tossing them in on the coals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just tossed them onto the coal (unsoaked). I will get some chunks next time.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bradley Chopp:
Looks great. One question, how long did the chicken take to cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bradley, it took the chicken every bit of 5 1/2 hours before the internal temp got up to 180. I think that was because of slow smoking at 220-225. Next time I plan to indirect cook my chicken on the Chargriller so that I can get a higher temp cook for less time without interfering with my rib cook on the WSM. Just trying different approaches right now to see what works for me.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...Overall, I think it could have been way better. I am pleased but not satisfied by a long shot. I have lots of work to do.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> first cook in WSM, custom rub, custom sauce, great ribs and you aren't satisfied? Give yourself some credit man!

dang, that looks great to me ... thanks for the pics </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shawn, thanks. I can be hard on myself but that is because I plan to start competing later this year and open a restaurant in 2007. When I open my Q joint, I want the quality to be impeccable all the time, so I am really very critical of what I produce. I know this though, you all on this site have given me insight and inspiration along with my cyber-crew of friends on the Barbecue Bible site too. If God blesses me with good success in my business I would have to give credit to everyone on these sites who is helping me see the bbq light!
icon_smile.gif

Tony

Tony,
Don't worry about being to critical on yourself. My wife wonders when I will cook ANYTHING that I can't find something to try to make better. I'm with you on wanting to open a business and trying to find the right combo to sell.
They just opened a new minor league baseball team/stadium where I live. I should have checked into being a vendor there, but don't think I am quite ready yet. My Wife said "there you go, being to critical again!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Tony,
Don't worry about being to critical on yourself. My wife wonders when I will cook ANYTHING that I can't find something to try to make better. I'm with you on wanting to open a business and trying to find the right combo to sell.
They just opened a new minor league baseball team/stadium where I live. I should have checked into being a vendor there, but don't think I am quite ready yet. My Wife said "there you go, being to critical again!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, this might sound wild to some, but I would rather buy Q from anyone on this forum than from the places we have here in Indy. If Lancaster is anything like Indy they need you to go into biz. Now, you might get into trouble with the baseball team, because most of the crowd will probably be in line to get your Q rather than watching the game!
icon_biggrin.gif

Be encouraged and go for it if you can. The one thing you dont want to do is always sit back wondering how it "might" have turned out "if" you did!

Tony

Way to go Tony! Food looks good, and everyone is happy. Cant beat that. Wait until you try one of youre very on pork butts, Man are you in for a treat.

Tony,

Absolutely fantastic! I wish you tremendous success in your business and I love your "passion for excellence". IMO that is not being overly critical of yourself, but it is a worthwhile goal that separates the elite from the rest of the competition! Good luck to you man!

Ray

Hey Tony...

You have got 350,000 people coming to Indy for the 500 in late May, why not put up stand there and sell your Q... I would definately try to search you out there my friend.

Tony, Your ribs look great!!. I'm in the middle of my first cook right now. Will let you know how they come out. Just sampled some of the skirt I had out there. Really Good!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D M Sattelberg:
Hey Tony...

You have got 350,000 people coming to Indy for the 500 in late May, why not put up stand there and sell your Q... I would definately try to search you out there my friend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DM, If I were not so early in my "serious" bbq career I would. Next year... now that will be a different story! I will be looking forward to having a stand at the 500!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Tony, Your ribs look great!!. I'm in the middle of my first cook right now. Will let you know how they come out. Just sampled some of the skirt I had out there. Really Good!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul h, Great! If you can, take pics so we can see too! Only problem is, they have not come out with the "Scratch-n-Sniff" computer screens yet!
icon_biggrin.gif

Tony, unfortunately when they were done they just seemed to disappear. They turned out better then most of the que I've had around here. Learned alot. Will keep on improving.

Back