First WSM - beginner questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'll be putting together my first WSM tonight, and I have an ET-73 thermometer. I plan to experiment with my friends this weekend. Against advice from those who know far more about this than I do, I plan to cook a brisket and some ribs, of course following all the advice on this site, including the Minion method for the fire. I'll start with a couple of questions:

1. Am I really crazy and should I do something easier and safer the first time? I can be persuaded. If you really think so, I'd appreciate suggestions of what would be easier and safer, taking into consideration that I have many years of indirect cooking with Weber kettles and really don't want to cook something I could have cooked just as well in a kettle.

2. If I do the brisket and ribs, what do I do about the cooking time difference? Put the brisket on the bottom rack and add the ribs to the top later? Cook the brisket first, allowing time afterward to cook the ribs? If so, how best to keep the brisket? In foil in a 170 degree oven?

Well, you get the idea...

Thanks,

Mick Ruthven

How big is the brisket? What kind of ribs?
With that info we can figure an aprox finish time for the brisket and at what point the ribs should go on.
The brisket can be kept warm by wrapping in plastic wrap and then foil. Place in a dry cooler for up to 4 hours in most cases.
Little more info and we can give you the numbers.
Jim

You ask difficult questions /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif A good market nearby has briskets that are about six pounds. I think they've removed the point and I don't know about the fat. I'm going there this evening and ask, taking the recommendations from this site wtih me. I haven't really decided on spare ribs or baby backs. I'm leaning toward spareribs.

The brisket 8 to 9 hour cook, if spares they take me 6 hours, BB about 4 hours. Always give yourself more time and use the dry cooler if done early.
Jim

Would you suggest I put the ribs in the top, with the brisket cooking on the bottom, at the supposed time to mek them come out together? Or cook the brisket first and hold them while the ribs are cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back