First Wicked Good Charcoal Cook

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
I recently obtained some wgc from Steve Cole.
First cook is today. Brined turkey breast for 5 hours and air dried for 2. The temp went up to 355 and now is 339. My only smoke wood is two chunks of peach left from a previous cook. I wanted to go very light on smoke wood to judge the wgc on its own. We'll know by dinner. Now at 345. WGC seems to run 20* higher than Kingsford in my bullet.

Big oooops. ET-73 let me down. Breast held at 152 for way toooo loooong. I went ouside to check. Eeeeeek. 167. I pulled it real quick and foiled. I got about 2 ounces of meat drippings for the gravy. Made corn bread dressing-did not have celery so improvised.

Now I'm starving. Sounds good.

I've been using WGC since they started shipping it again several weeks ago. My favorite lump now.

How's the turkey?

Turkey was very good. An 9 of 10. WGC is fine. I got expected higher temps but not too high. An extra 20-25 degrees. Just fine for poultry. The wgc seems almost entirely nuetral. When I had used some lump from Wally world months ago-I thought I detected off aromas. WGC is all right. I used two chucks of recycled peach wood. The turkey had a mild smoke flavor-very subtle. Like a fine champagne.

Back