First Whole Chicken

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Tried my first whole chicken yesterday. Wanted to try out my new injector. I got this special deal on an injector from Cabella's. They sent me this injector that could be used on a buffalo. It's huge. It was an experience trying to inject in that little chicken and not spritz everybody or everything in a 15 yard radius. Got the smoker going. Cooked with apple and cherry. Got the temps up to 200 at the grate and put the chicken on. The top grate fell down and proceeded to dump my chicken into the water pan(oooops!!!). Well, a little hot bath never hurt anyone. Reassembled everything again and started over. Inserted the ET73 food probe in the breast which I thought looked kind of small. Cooked the chicken at 230 at the grate for 4 hours. Couldn't get the food temp above 172 so I checked with a poultry thermometer and it read done. Pulled off and let sit. Found out I had no aluminum foil(oooops again). Put in a pot with a covered lid. Chicken came out golden brown. Skin was good but not really crispy. Wife thought it was very moist and tender. I told her about the temps and small breasted chicken. She looked at the insertion hole where I put the probe and laughed. Evidently, I need to take a chicken anatomy course. I stuck the probe in the wrong place. Definetly a learning experience :-)

Thanks for the laugh!
icon_wink.gif
That was absolutely hysterical. For what it's worth, we've all had days like that.

Back